Need your thoughts about my run...

Back on the Farm

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland
I live on an old farm (1756), so I have no building plans or old maps to figure out where things used to be. Apparently, I've decided to extend my chicken run on top of an old barn/building foundation. I need to dig 9 holes for my fence posts... hole #1 I can only get 12" deep. Hole 2 is only 8" deep(I'll need a digging bar to get deeper), and hole 3 - I stopped at 6" partly because my shoulders hurt and I was thirsty... but I was also starting to hit rock or foundation. I'm using an old fence pole digger - didn't want to rent an auger for 9 holes and the tractor auger would dig them too big & the tractor would tear up my yard (plus its a pain in the backside to hook up)

I know I need to get these holes to 24" to really keep them secure... but, If I get to 12" and use quick crete... will that be enough for my fence posts. The run is only going to be 4' high and not supporting any structure (just wire fence). I'm in the mid-atlantic, so we do get freezing weather in the winter, but not like other parts of the country. Do you all think 12" is enough? I'm also going to trench around and put hardware cloth down to discourage my chickens and others from digging under.

Any other suggestions??? I'm trying not to spend a lot of money and am using what I can find around the farm as well as what I've found on craigslist for free.

Thanks

The depth and rocks are a problem. Wider footings will help prevent overturning. When the wire is up, heaving from the frost won't be the structural problem it would be with a building. A bit of custom twist will add character to the fence. :)

Chris

Those old farms are the coolest, you never know what you'll find! Sounds like you won't have to worry alot about predators digging under your fence so much! I sure don't envy digging those holes-yuck, hope the chickens appreciate it...are you planning on making it predator proof or what? Wire doesn't need alot to hold it up, to keep chickens in, now, the only thought I have is how big is it, are you going in there often cause I'm sure your taller than 4 feet, and down the road you might wish you'd made it taller.
I recently enlarged my chick pen, for daytime use, now they are big and don't need it, but for winter I am thinking of adding a small roof over pen so they can go out on snowy days, and keep the water there so the sun can thaw it out.

Back
Top Bottom