Needing advise about a door in the front of our chicken house

Mountain Sunshine

Songster
10 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Cleveland, Georgia
Some of you have seen pictures of our chicken house. In the back there are two are two doors. Well, we have built nesting boxes that go across the back of the house. When you open up those back doors you open them up to the nesting boxes to retrieve the eggs. So, now I can't get into the house to get to the water and the fees and to clean the house. ( THAT'S A PROBLEM)

We are going to put a larger door in the front of the house to do all of those things. Any advise or suggestions would be great! Here is a link to pictures of the house.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=281059

Will the nest boxes fit above the pop door opening (can't tell how much space there is there), on that wall??? If so, seems like it would be easier to move them than install a new door??? I'm a little fuzzy though on what you're describing...

Could you make the nest boxes (or one of them) movable? Then you could just move it to get to the feeders and waterers.

Quote:
Well, I had thought about that, but the material that they are made of is pretty heavy. So moving them would be such a pain. I mean it could be done, it just would be hard.
I can take a picture of the inside tomorrow and post those.

It doesn't look like you have a lot of chickens--could you just remove a portion of the nestboxes? They all seem to use the same one or two anyway.....

Could you maybe use some sort of roller in a track like they use on kitchen cabinet drawers and mount on the wall for the nest boxes? I hope that make since.....just not sure what those are called
hu.gif

Quote:
We put in 4 nesting boxes. We have 4 hens, but we are getting a a couple of other hens this spring. So, we just went ahead and added the nesting boxes while we were building.

Quote:
We put in 4 nesting boxes. We have 4 hens, but we are getting a a couple of other hens this spring. So, we just went ahead and added the nesting boxes while we were building.

I have about 30 layers and out of ten nest boxes they only use 3, i think that is kinda what chookchick was trying to let you know. For some reason they like to lay in the same boxes
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom