Needing Landlords approval....

lifeofpaine

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 11, 2013
Does anyone have any good ideas for a contract for our landlord about the chickens? Basically we need his permission on the chicken coop permit to build the chicken coop in the back yard (yes, I know our stupidity for jumping the gun as we have 5-3wk old dellies now) but I guess he had a tenant who had pigeons and left a mess for him to clean... and he thinks they will be loud and that the neighbors wouldnt be too appreciative... well 2 of our neighbors HAVE chickens lol and they will be outside not inside. So basically... im asking if anyone has ideas on a contract saying he wont hear about complaints on our chickens, and we wont leave a mess when we move...

Does anyone have any good ideas for a contract for our landlord about the chickens? Basically we need his permission on the chicken coop permit to build the chicken coop in the back yard (yes, I know our stupidity for jumping the gun as we have 5-3wk old dellies now) but I guess he had a tenant who had pigeons and left a mess for him to clean... and he thinks they will be loud and that the neighbors wouldnt be too appreciative... well 2 of our neighbors HAVE chickens lol and they will be outside not inside. So basically... im asking if anyone has ideas on a contract saying he wont hear about complaints on our chickens, and we wont leave a mess when we move...
Well, presumably the pigeons were outside and there was a mess to clean up...

I'd suggest making a LARGE cleaning deposit (at least $1000), a contract that says you will return the property in pristine condition (and include specific inspections with photos, both before acquiring the birds and when you move out), that requires you to follow all local ordinances and zoning codes, The contract should specify exactly what is needed for your deposit to be returned.

I'd further suggest that as a renter you should not be building permanent structures; a coop that can be moved if/when you move is a better choice than something permanently installed.

We asked our landlord for permission and he said he was fine with it as long as they did not come in the house or garage. As we are landlords ourselves we are diligent about maintaining the house and yard (we are in the country). We built a chicken tractor. Something easy to move when we do (our job moves us every few years) and easy to keep clean.

As for a contract we just have a clause stating pets are allowed but I kept the email asking permission with the rules our landlord stated about nothing inside the house and a pet deposit wasn't required.

My suggestion for the deposit is because it already sounds like the landlord is not really in favor of the idea, and that that is largely because his past experience was that a mess was left to clean up. A large deposit makes ir more likely that the tenants will make a diligent effort to NOT create a mess, and that they have a strong incentive to clean and repair any damage they make. And if htey don't, the funds are available to repair any damages.

Back
Top Bottom