Needs some help identifying cockatiel breed/sex PLEASE

CACKLEBERRYSHAWN

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Good morning everyone!
We have kinda inherited 3 bonded pairs of cockatiels and since they have started giving us babies we thought we should learn alittle more about what we have. I LOVE hand feeding the babies!! we are real sure about what breeds we have and I know you cant be 100% sure just by looking the sex of the bird but maybe you guys can offer some help! : )
We think #1 and #2 are a bonded pair of females just by the way they act. They have giving us 8 eggs,4 were good and 4 were not when we candled them.Of the 4 good eggs only 2 hatched.We have never seen 1 and 2 doing the do but we have seen 1 or 2 doing the do with #6.Both 1 and 2 sat on the eggs and 6 fed them.
#3 and #4 are a bonded pair.We think 3 is the male and 4 is the female.They gave us 2 babies last year.
#5 and #6 are a bonded pair tho #6 has been seen "bonding" with 1 or 2.We are 99.9% sure 5 is the female and 6 is the male.They have giving us 4 babies

Babies from 1 or 2 "bonding" with 6

Babies from 1 and 2

1 - pearl whiteface hen
2 - pearl whiteface hen
3 - whiteface pied hen
4 - whiteface heavy pied hen
5 - Lutino male
6 - heavy pied male

I am 100% sure of these. Let me know if you want to know how I know.

B

3 & 4 and 5 &6 are both proven pairs,they gave us babies last year when they first came to us and were still living in separate breeder cages before we got the aviary build.By the way they acted 3 is a male and 4 is a female,4 sat on the eggs most of the time and 3 fed.5 sat on the eggs most of the time and 6 fed.Someone said we had cinnamons???? Thank You : )

I'm sorry, but I don't see any cinnamon. (a sex linked trait)
The whiteface pearls can only have that coloration if the are hens, as the male birds lose it.
Whiteface males lose ALL coloration on the face, and should be completely white (hence the name).

Both male and female cockatiels feed and sit on the eggs....they are not like chickens.

If you look at their tails on the bottom side,the females will have bars across them,the males will be a solid color.4 maybe a cinnamin.
I saw your pics and thought I was looking at my own birds.They are very close in colorings to mine.

In N.H.,Tony.

I just wanted to say you have some nice looking birds. I love cockatiels, #5 looks like one I had a while back.

I just wanted to mention that if you intend to breed any more cockatiels, make sure you have good homes lined up for them! Most bird rescue groups in the US are full to the ears with unwanted cockatiels, sadly. Also bear in mind the genetics on the females-- hen cockatiels that are prone to chronic egg laying should not be bred, as they can pass this trait on. Myself and many many other cockatiel owners know the grief of chronic egg laying in hens-- the $1,000s of dollars in vet bills and the heartbreak from complications. Please breed responsibly. :)

Back
Top Bottom