Negative Marekā€™s Test-What Could It Be?!

Awe man šŸ˜” thanks for your encouragement! Did yours end up having Mareks or is it a mystery?
It is a mystery. My environmental swab was positive for Marek's but none of the sick chickens have tested positive. I have no idea how to interpret that!
It is possible that the environmental swab was a false positive.
Three of mine died extremely rapidly over just a few days - it was almost like they had been poisoned - but it is hard to figure out what could have poisoned them given my set up.
I am totally at a loss.

I would spend the $250 and get a necropsy. Talk to the lab, explain you are just a backyard breeder in case the price is less, and ask if they can send you a prepaid label for overnight shipping through Fedex or UPS. What state are you in? Sorry for your losses.

So sorry you're going through this! How heartbreaking!!!

How separated is your older flock from your 25 weekers? Do they share the same geographical area? Are they quarantined from each other, or do you share tools, food, etc. between the 2 flocks? Are they both mixed flocks, or is it just one breed of bird that's affected? Where did you get your younger flock? [Maybe there's a weakness in the younger flock's DNA that causes malabsorption of nutrients? Poop shouldn't be green...]

Since you've tested for the most obvious culprits, I'm wondering if there's environmental factors - something they're eating that's making them sick. Just a guess here, but have you ruled out mycotoxins in food or treats? Ruled out giardia or other waterborne illnesses in waterers? Could they be eating poisoned mice or snakes (maybe neighbor set out poison)? Eating bits of the coop or feedbags, or poisonous vegetation? What do they consume that's different than your older flock?

Has there been a predator attack or other wild animal exposure to your younger flock that the older one hasn't gotten? Wondering about disease vectors here that might help narrow down what they've been exposed to.

So sorry you're going through this!

At this point, I'd be strongly considering autopsy myself.

How separated is your older flock from your 25 weekers? Do they share the same geographical area? Are they quarantined from each other, or do you share tools, food, etc. between the 2 flocks? Are they both mixed flocks, or is it just one breed of bird that's affected? Where did you get your younger flock? [Maybe there's a weakness in the younger flock's DNA that causes malabsorption of nutrients? Poop shouldn't be green...]

Since you've tested for the most obvious culprits, I'm wondering if there's environmental factors - something they're eating that's making them sick. Just a guess here, but have you ruled out mycotoxins in food or treats? Ruled out giardia or other waterborne illnesses in waterers? Could they be eating poisoned mice or snakes (maybe neighbor set out poison)? Eating bits of the coop or feedbags, or poisonous vegetation? What do they consume that's different than your older flock?

Has there been a predator attack or other wild animal exposure to your younger flock that the older one hasn't gotten? Wondering about disease vectors here that might help narrow down what they've been exposed to.

Mycotoxins in food is high on my list of possible causes for my own losses - I tried but failed to find a lab that would test for that on a small scale so I just threw out all the food and started over.

I feel for you, Iā€™ve had similar issues in the past. Have you cleaned the coops? You can use activated oxine or Virkon S has been proven to kill off Marekā€™s. This seemed to help in my situation. Also, if it turns out to be Marekā€™s then any sick birds will shed it in their dander. Good luck, I hope you get it figured out.

The flocks live together. All mixed breeds. Everything is shared. My older flock is from Meyer Hatchery, my next oldest hen was 1 of 4 from hatching eggs. She has been the sole survivor since summer, but just became lame yesterday. She came from Ebay so I figured maybe not good genetics. My younger flock all came from Alchemist Farm, which is another reputable company.
I have tested for Giardia 3 times and came back negative.
I clean out feeders and waterers all the time. My food is organic/GMO free Scratch and Peck. I donā€™t do treats or anything else.
I have no idea what could be in their environment. Nothing but field grass all around. I havenā€™t seen any evidence of mice ever.
I have one neighbor with chickens that have never died of anything but a predator attack in the 2 years theyā€™ve had chickens, and another a block away on a small farm with no health issues. I also donā€™t see any evidence of them eating bit of anything off coop or anything else.
All animals have been subject to 3 hawk attacks that have taken the life of 2.
Any thoughts on other diseases or things I should test for from RAL?

Hello! I have posted many questions on here trying to help/treat my flock since this past summer.

I thought for sure it boiled down to Marekā€™s disease. I have had 11 birds die since June. After the first 3 died within a few days of each other I got a fecal test confirming Coccidiosis and tape worm. I treated with Corid and Equimax. During that time a 4th bird died.
Shortly after treatment, a bird started limping and eventually became lame. Gave her Complex B vitamin tablet daily for 4 weeks with no improvement and culled. Between then and now, I have had 2 die unexpectedly, 1 die from what I believe was impacted crop (crop was squishy, vomited shortly after I picked her up and put her in isolated and she died), 1 with respiratory symptoms, and 2 more started limping and became lame and were culled. I also treated those 2 with B vitamins for a couple weeks, but they were just wasting away/getting really thin despite a good appetite. I will also mention that during this time I treated for Coccidiosis again at someoneā€™s suggestion, even though the bird acting sick came back with a negative fecal result.

Right now I have another very sick bird. She started limping. Now canā€™t move legs or wings. I got in touch with someone who said members of her flock became lame after Coccidiosis every time, and only complex B injections worked for her birds, and they werenā€™t properly absorbing nutrients in pill form. After describing many things to this person, who is also medical and has had a flock for a long time, I decided to treat for Coccidiosis again, and also deworm my whole flock with Valbazen. Then the game plan was to start B injections on this same bird and see if she recovers. She has since developed labored breathing, so instead I am doing Tylan injections for now.

I honestly didnā€™t believe it could be anything but Marekā€™s, so I sent in blood and swab to RAL (Research Lab Associates) in TX to test for Marekā€™s specifically. It came back NEGATIVE today! Iā€™m relieved, but also wondering what the heck is going on with my flock?!

Yesterday another gal started limping and today she canā€™t walk at all. Has been eating and drinking well and laying eggs. A big maran mix that looks and weighs healthy.

My older flock who is just over a year old now has not been impacted thus far. It has all been my pullets who are now 25 weeks old. No one is vaccinated for Marekā€™s. Everyoneā€™s poop is GREEN despite being locked in run for months due to hawk attacks (no grass or greens to eat). Their poop is also primarily solid. I only feed Scratch and Peck pellets. Nothing else.

What do you all think this could be??? Iā€™m going to send in another sample on the bird with labored breathing, and now the other that has stopped walking. What all should I test for?? I still have 13 birds with no symptoms.

I donā€™t want to submit necropsy unless I absolutely have to because itā€™s a 2 hour drive and $250.

Help! Please and thank you!
What state are you in?
Are you aware you can over-night/ship a dead bird to a different state's lab if your state lab is too expensive?

What state are you in?
Are you aware you can over-night/ship a dead bird to a different state's lab if your state lab is too expensive?
Iā€™m in Michigan and I was not aware of that! I was more inconvenienced by the driving 2 hours than the price, so I had no clue I could ship!

Back
Top Bottom