Negative Marek’s Test-What Could It Be?!

I have only cleaned with vinegar and water in the coops. My kids are so sensitive to harmful chemicals I hadn’t considered that also wondered how much that could/might hurt birds? Did you have a lot of sickness that went away after cleaning??
Pretty much no issues since I started cleaning regularly. I also didn’t have chickens for about a year, but that choice was made later, and I’ve found a different feeder that keeps out the wild birds but it doesn’t seem you have that problem. You don’t have to clean really often, once or twice a year depending on your preference and how often you add chicks. I do it yearly before I apply new whitewash to the interior.

Activated oxine and Virkon S are both approved for use around your animals. I have a lot of allergies and chemical sensitivities, both skin and breathing issues, but I can use them both with no issues. I tend to rotate between the two.

I also meant to ask you….did you submit a swab or swab and blood to RAL? I did both, and I thought the blood helped rule out the environment factors but maybe I’m wrong.
I just did swabs. I did the environment one on purpose because not all infected birds shed virus all the time so getting some dander from the coop can be a way of knowing if you have Marek’s in the flock. But now I wonder if it was a false positive.

Would you be able to build your flock back up from your neighbors? I read a thread on here awhile ago where a OP replaced 😢 her hens with local chicks and then didn't have the deaths anymore.
That’s definitely something to consider

I just did swabs. I did the environment one on purpose because not all infected birds shed virus all the time so getting some dander from the coop can be a way of knowing if you have Marek’s in the flock. But now I wonder if it was a false positive.
I emailed the lab and they told me there would be no need to test for Marek’s again. 🤷🏻‍♀️I just sent overnight another swab and blood. I am now testing for Mycoplasma (some have had several symptoms as mine and no respiratory), Fowl Cholera, Avian Influenza, Avian Leukosis Virus and Newcastle disease. If I still come up empty I will cull and submit for necropsy. If I can get an answer that might help my two isolated hens survive and walk again, I will do that before culling❤️

I emailed the lab and they told me there would be no need to test for Marek’s again. 🤷🏻‍♀️I just sent overnight another swab and blood. I am now testing for Mycoplasma (some have had several symptoms as mine and no respiratory), Fowl Cholera, Avian Influenza, Avian Leukosis Virus and Newcastle disease. If I still come up empty I will cull and submit for necropsy. If I can get an answer that might help my two isolated hens survive and walk again, I will do that before culling❤️
Good luck! Really hoping you figure this out soon. Sending you supportive thoughts.

For anyone curious, or for future readers looking for possible answers to their own flock health concerns…my flock tested positive for Avian Leukosis Virus through Research Associates Lab. I’m so sad! But glad I now know what’s going on….thanks all for your help.

For anyone curious, or for future readers looking for possible answers to their own flock health concerns…my flock tested positive for Avian Leukosis Virus through Research Associates Lab. I’m so sad! But glad I now know what’s going on….thanks all for your help.
I’m sorry :hugs Thanks for the update. There’s really not much you can do, but it makes sense that it’s a viral tumor disease since the symptoms are so similar to Marek’s.

Thank you for updating us.

Back
Top Bottom