Neighbor’s rooster vs my rooster

TerryBowleg

Chirping
Feb 23, 2023
I’ve got a flock that free ranges for most of the day. My neighbor 2 houses down has a flock that also free ranges. Those flocks have always been fine and never got close to each other. This summer my neighbor introduced a rooster to his flock, and the rooster eventually starting coming after my hens. So I decided to get a rooster last week hoping my rooster would cause the other rooster to stay home with his flock. Today was the first day I let mine out to free range since I’ve had my rooster for a few days. Well, my rooster and the neighbor’s rooster just about fought to the death. I had to separate them and I put all mine back in their pen.

Do you think that territory can ever be established between the roosters to where the neighbor’s rooster leaves my chickens alone? Or are they going to try to kill each other every day if they free range?

(I used the term “rooster” but both “roosters” are really cockerels born in the spring)

If one of the boys isn't willing to drop the fight, then there's not much you can do there. You should make your yard secure enough that the outsider can't get in

Two houses away probably isn't far enough for two distinctive flocks to form. Roosters are typically highly greedy and will try to collect all of the hens for their harem. If both flocks were female only things would probably be fine, but a rooster will attract hens like a magnet even from several hundred feet away

Equilibrium will probably be reached at some point. Most roosters won't fight seriously unless they're game breeds. However one of you may lose hens to the neighboring flock

This will boil down to the rooster breed I think

Interesting. How old are your and your neighbour's females?
I have 4 females that are over a year, and 15 that are about 7 months old. I’m not sure about his but I think they’re probably around a year old.

My hens have never went home with the other cockerel, but I was afraid with more time he would win them. He obviously tries to mount mine, but he’s not usually too successful.

I figured if I’m going to have a rooster in my yard crowing, it might as well be my rooster. And obviously I was worried about him eventually taking my girls home.

I really like the cockerel I have. He is very sweet and is not aggressive with the girls at all. He had some pullets of his own for about a month before I got him.

Back
Top Bottom