Neighbor dogs, what do I do?

Don't rely on the dog owners they have proven unreliable.

Call the sheriff or town police, animal control in most places is a joke.

Hit them in their wallet.

Check the laws in your state, it is normally legal for one to terminate the dogs when they show up on your property and bother your animals.

In a number of states it is illegal for dogs to be off their owners property unrestrained and out of their owners control regardless of what they are doing.

I live in the country, too, and understand about "animal control". There is no such thing. But you do have a county sheriff. Call the Sheriff's Dept. every time those dogs are on your place. Also take pictures (from the safety of your home)and document EVERYTHING. If you don't shoot, do you have friends who do? I know it's not pleasant to shoot a dog, but you have to protect your property, your animals and most importantly yourself. If you shoot, I would also follow through with the other two S's. Shovel and shut up. I would NOT suggest shooting them with a BB gun. All you're gonna do is tick them off, making them even more potentially dangerous. Being big dogs, I'd even go shotgun over .22. You don't have to aim quite as well that way... If you don't have anyone who might just happen to be visiting and might just happen to have a shotgun with them, maybe you need to take a firearms safety class, learn how to safely handle a gun and take care of the problem yourself.

In this case, the dogs were threatening to humans, not just other animals. That is what the Sheriff needs to know. It's his job to deal with it if animal control will not. Dangerous dogs can't be ignored.

I agree with most of the recommendations made, especially those that first suggest you first keep yourself safe and second that you start notifying authorities and keep records. But, I'm not so sure about the shooting part in this situation. No, I am not opposed to the shooting per se. Instead, I wonder if shooting one dog out of a pack is going to accomplish much. Others with experience in a situation like this should chime in.

Quote:
X2!

X3

As for dealing with the pack, you'd have to work in "dog language" and shoot the alpha dog of the pack, and potentially the dog that rises to alpha dog. Perhaps at that point the remaining animals and resulting leader would have memory for the place being dangerous and leave you alone. This still doesn't address the danger to humans, though.

After working with my neighbor's dogs all year, three things happened.
1) The chicken killer, (whom I was fond of), was killed by a car.
2) Mom and Sister have learned that the chickens are MINE. (Mostly by telling them to go home when they chase, and withholding treats.)
3) I got two Roos that like to peck dog butts.

Don't escalate things too quickly. I would never shoot an animal if it could be avoided. Fencing is expensive, but good fences make good neighbors. Plus, my neighbor's dogs HATE racoons, and won't rest until they can't smell them, which has helped me out several times last summer.

Negotiate for the damage. Take photos of the dogs on your property.
Ask them to identify which dogs are theirs, and ask if they would bring a couple of them over every afternoon for a few weeks so you can get to know them individually. (Your neighbor will also be able to see the results of his careless husbandry.) They are taking the path of least resistance, and you should take that away from them. Things can't remain as they are.

Quote:
But these aren't just a couple of neighbor dogs coming over for a visit. Did you read the original post? This is what OP is dealing with: a pack of dogs(about 6-8) that have been terrorizing our animals, they killed my duck, my favorite rooster and five other chickens. It started out just them coming down here and barking at our pet pot belly pig,attacking her and then they started messing with our chickens. They are big scary dogs, I use to take walks up the road with my friends childern and cant do that anymore for fear of them running at us, as they have before. These are dangerous dogs. One at a time, maybe not. But we're talking pack mentality. And dogs are like kids - get two or more together, and they seem to forget all the rules. I would NOT allow these dogs - singularly or together - on my property, with or without the owner. They are DANGEROUS. I will agree that OP may need to invest in good fencing....

A pack of dogs, no matter what kind or if they are wearing collars and tags, is dangerous. Dogs in a pack will do things they wouldn't do separately. ALWAYS consider that many dogs highly dangerous and shoot to kill, if you have a gun. Don't play around with BB guns or paint ball guns in this situation.

In our area just recently, three large dogs escaped their fence and almost killed an elderly woman who was just walking down her driveway to get her mail. They attacked and mauled her badly, had every stitch of clothing off of her and had to be beaten off of her. These were someone's "pets" who just happened to be running as a pack. I don't care if I know the dog, the dog's owners, etc, I would shoot to kill, period-that is a situation where you cannot take any chances.

Back
Top Bottom