Neighbor mad about rooster...suggestions?

Thank you all so much for your kind words and help. If the neighbor was "neighborly" in any way and actually talked to us we would probably not be in this situation. I gave the wife eggs once but she did not seem to really care about them so I never offered again. Their house is set back about the same amount as ours and the coop is circled. We have it in the back corner. I can not put it in the other corner as we have a gate there for access and I do not want to put the coop in the center of the yard as there is no shade in the south Florida hot summers. I have been listening all morning and have heard him crow maybe 6x. The other roosters we rehomed before they started crow except for the second to last and this rooster is so quiet compared to him! He is the little gray in the picture View attachment 2918063View attachment 2918059
He's gorgeous, and you have a very nice property! Is it possible your neighbor is hearing someone else's rooster crow and thinking it's your rooster crowing "all the time?"

This guy just sounds like a grump who wants to play the victim. "crowing all day long" is just the rooster crowing when the neighbor wants it to be quiet. A neighbor like this is a fear of mine as I have 2 roos and 2 confirmed cockerels. None crow all day long. They need to space homes out more in new developments. Maybe these "city folks" will choose them instead of wanting a "big yard" in a rural area then complaining about chickens when they move there.

You cut down a fully grown, perfectly healthy oak tree because the nasty neighbor planted a tree in the oaks shade?
I was going to ask the same. I would NOT have done that. That is THEIR fault that they chose to plant it there and no OP’s problem. Of course too late now since it’s already been cut but yeah… I fear OP has been too considerate and accommodating and now this guy is taking advantage and bullying.

I would not want my chickens that close to his lot line. Id be looking at relocating, but that is the best spot for the coop so tough situation. There is a lot of shade on the rear lot line and other side.

Some laws in other states have setback requirements and your coop is on a fairly close lot line, so you do have more accomodations you can do by moving the coop to the other side. Is the gate a place where they wouldnt be as safe or is your rear lot line a safe place to move them?

Some laws in other states have setback requirements and your coop is on a fairly close lot line, so you do have more accomodations you can do by moving the coop to the other side.
if she’s following all of her local laws, why should she do anything else to accommodate the neighbor?

it doesn’t matter what the laws are in the 49 other states - just in the one the OP lives in.

if she’s following all of her local laws, why should she do anything else to accommodate the neighbor?

it doesn’t matter what the laws are in the 49 other states - just in the one the OP lives in.

Because laws arent perfect and op is looking for ideas to deal with an angry neighbor, not legal advice. It's all good that op is in their legal rights to own chickens, but how can they own them peacefully when they live next to a lousy neighbor?

If op truly lives in an agricultural protected zone free from noise ordonances, she should just place a copy of the relevant section of the laws in the mailbox of her neighbor, with relevant sections highlighted that protect her rights to own chickens, with a contact number of her lawyer for questions. Even better, add a cease and desist and a restraining order as well. Does all that legal protection make them happier and protect her animals from some poison seeds being thrown over the fence?

I was saying i would move it to be more accomodating is all. Laws are for civilized people, but they obviously dont live next to very civil neighbors.

I was saying i would move it to be more accomodating is all. Laws are for civilized people, but they obviously dont live next to very civil neighbors.
if you read back, the OP has made several accommodations for this guy and he’s still an ass. where should she stop?

it’s time to put up some cameras around the coop, and if he poisons the chickens, you nail his ass to the wall.

i personally wouldn’t do another thing to appease this guy.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and help. If the neighbor was "neighborly" in any way and actually talked to us we would probably not be in this situation. I gave the wife eggs once but she did not seem to really care about them so I never offered again. Their house is set back about the same amount as ours and the coop is circled. We have it in the back corner. I can not put it in the other corner as we have a gate there for access and I do not want to put the coop in the center of the yard as there is no shade in the south Florida hot summers. I have been listening all morning and have heard him crow maybe 6x. The other roosters we rehomed before they started crow except for the second to last and this rooster is so quiet compared to him! He is the little gray in the picture View attachment 2918063View attachment 2918059

don't you dare to rehome this beauty! those trash people will find something else to complain about.

Back
Top Bottom