Neighbor rant... Update, hind sight is always 20 20.

Assult? Are you ok? I thought he had only harrassed and threatened (which is bad enough!). I am glad that he will be off the streets for a while! Keep us posted!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Physically were are fine, but emotionally it hasn't been easy.
In the state of Massachusetts, you don't necessarily have to 'lay a hand' on someone for it to be considered "assault". He verbally assaulted my mother and me (F bombs and what not), and put his finger in my mom's face in a VERY aggressive manner (and threatened physical harm) - all of the above are considered assault. I am just glad that they are doing something. If it weren't for this officer/detective who reviewed the report, nothing would have been done.
Just to confirm, he has been charged with assault and sent a summons - not arrested. They should have arrested him when the incident took place, but at least they are filing them now. Also, the charges won't end up on his record until he has to be adjudicated (has his day in court). Now all we have to do is wait until we get a court date, which should take too long in such a quiet town. Furthermore, the state (not us) were the ones to 'file' for the charges, which means when this goes to court it will read "Massachusetts vs. David [insert last name here]". The state will call on us as the injured party and will be responsible for representing us - we don't have to get a lawyer.

Now, since charges were filed we can reapply for the 258E order of protection, which should now be approved.

One thing that really irritates me is that the officers** (who originally arrived at the scene), didn't give us the option of pressing charges. They acted like he wouldn't be a problem and that once things guy 'cools off' this should return to normal. I wish we had 'pressured' them to press charges at the time. Things are far from normal; we jump at every sound and won't go near the door if someone knocks unless they call first. We don't know what this guy is capable of and we don't want to find out, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again to everyone; doing research and giving me and my mother the support we need.

**the officers who arrived at the scene were very nice people and I doubt they could grasp the fear that we feel, being two woman living alone without any form of protection (with the exception of my dog, Grace). So I can't fault them for doing what they deemed appropriate at the time. This is just my opinion looking back on the situation.

Last edited:
Quote:
Physically were are fine, but emotionally it hasn't been easy.
In the state of Massachusetts, you don't necessarily have to 'lay a hand' on someone for it to be considered "assault". He verbally assaulted my mother and me (F bombs and what not), and put his finger in my mom's face in a VERY aggressive manner (and threatened physical harm) - all of the above are considered assault. I am just glad that they are doing something. If it weren't for this officer/detective who reviewed the report, nothing would have been done.
Just to confirm, he has been charged with assault and sent a summons - not arrested. They should have arrested him when the incident took place, but at least they are filing them now. Also, the charges won't end up on his record until he has to be adjudicated (has his day in court). Now all we have to do is wait until we get a court date, which should take too long in such a quiet town. Furthermore, the state (not us) were the ones to 'file' for the charges, which means when this goes to court it will read "Massachusetts vs. David [insert last name here]". The state will call on us as the injured party and will be responsible for representing us - we don't have to get a lawyer.

Now, since charges were filed we can reapply for the 258E order of protection, which should now be approved.

One thing that really irritates me is that the officers** (who originally arrived at the scene), didn't give us the option of pressing charges. They acted like he wouldn't be a problem and that once things guy 'cools off' this should return to normal. I wish we had 'pressured' them to press charges at the time. Things are far from normal; we jump at every sound and won't go near the door if someone knocks unless they call first. We don't know what this guy is capable of and we don't want to find out, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again to everyone; doing research and giving me and my mother the support we need.

**the officers who arrived at the scene were very nice people and I doubt they could grasp the fear that we feel, being two woman living alone without any form of protection (with the exception of my dog, Grace). So I can't fault them for doing what they deemed appropriate at the time. This is just my opinion looking back on the situation.

If you do not have a wide-angle peephole in your door, have one installed. Also make sure that you have double cylander deadbolts. Cover all windows near the door with blinds or curtains that cannot bee seen through from outside. Consider getting an alarm service, at least until the adjudication. Keep cell phones charged and on your persons. Telephones that connect by landline can be disabled by cutting te wires. Not so with a wireless service.

I am glad they are working with you. Good luck on getting the order of protection.

Quote:
Thanks! I will look in to all of those. We were already in the process of getting the whole house decked out in insulated (lined) curtains for privacy and to keep that house at a certain temperature. I've already looked into alarm systems, still debating on which company. We only have one cell phone (emergency, prepaid kind) and our phone modem-thing can run on battery if need be. Also, we will be going to Lowe's tomorrow to get some wood cut to make "bars" for the windows and to price some motion sensor lights. Thanks again for the info!

It sounds like he is just another meth head on the loose. It make them crazy. We had it good when we just had to worry about the pot heads and drunks.

Rufus

UPDATE:
Today my mom went to the PD to get a copy of the "Incident Report". Well, it turns out it had an interesting comment on it from the detective that reviewed the case and called us back in. It said, and I quote, "In reviewing David [last name]'s criminal background, I noted a twenty year history of violent crimes including, but not limited to (2 counts) of Assault and Battery with a dangerous weapon (Knife), (1 count) of Threatening, (several counts) of Assault and Battery and most recently 02/01/2010 Assault and Battery with a dangerous weapon". This guy should be in prison! And those are only "violent" crimes he was charged with as an adult, and he probably plead down on a few of those -- lord knows what he did as a "juvenile". Oh and here's the kicker, in the report Alan (father of David) said he was going to talk to the Chief of Police about us! Last time I checked my mom and I don't have a criminal record - what did we do wrong? Nothing. I have a feeling that when this goes to court we will have to request that the hearing take place in a different town with a different Judge, since this family is real chummy with officials (that's why, I believe, he wasn't arrested at the time). Any who, if he 'get's off' again (meaning no or little jail time), I am contacting Jane Velez Mitchell to feature this case on her "War on Women" segment. That way I will make sure that everybody knows about this guy.

As of today, our case still wasn't on the docket(sp?). However, we will still refile (On Monday) for the protection order and now that we know about his history - it's a sure thing. I'll keep you posted.

You need to stay in touch with the detective who seems to not be under the influence of their name. Those comments take this far beyond the scary that I imagined. Have an emergency escape planned--make sure everyone important in your life is well aware of what is going on and keeps in frequent contact. Consider a short vacation to visit friends or relatives who live elsewhere...and let no one local know (except maybe the supportive detective...and then only tell him you will be gone, not where...just that your cell phone will provide contact if necessary).

Back
Top Bottom