Neighbor shooting BB guns at my birds!

Yes, most strays are victims themselves. I know this and feel bad for them, but not bad enough that I will risk my life or my families life for them.

As for being reprimanded, check with your sheriff about the laws concerning dangerous roaming animals. Hopefully there is a law that states if in fear for your safety you can defend yourself. I'm betting that like my county, a BB gun is not considered a self defense weapon where you live. If you had shot the dog dead, called the cops and told them the dog was threatening, nothing more than a report would have been filed.
What you say is very logical and in a perfect world would be so. But out neighbors were not nice people - she liked to dress very provocatively and every time the police were called, due to their vicious dog, the police would come to our house first and be very polite and obliging, go to their house, come back to our house and be very belligerent and uncooperative. It was magical.

The people who bought our house told the relator that any dog found on their property they would unequivocally shoot...interesting thing to say...they didn't know about the neighbor's dog.

So, I don't know what happened but perhaps that dog was eventually taken care of. Bit a little kid just walking down the street. The owners absolutely refused to do anything about it.

What a strange world...eh?

Last edited:
What you say is very logical and in a perfect world would be so. But out neighbors were not nice people - she liked to dress very provocatively and every time the police were called, due to their vicious dog, the police would come to our house first and be very polite and obliging, go to their house, come back to our house and be very belligerent and uncooperative. It was magical.

The people who bought our house told the relator that any dog found on their property they would unequivocally shoot...interesting thing to say...they didn't know about the neighbor's dog.

So, I don't know what happened but perhaps that dog was eventually taken care of. Bit a little kid just walking down the street. The owners absolutely refused to do anything about it.

What a strange world...eh?

Yeah, and I would have done exactly as the person who bought your house said they would do. When angry I am very loud, obnoxious and would have gone over those idiot cops heads. See If eye candy was worth the stink I would raise. When it comes to my family, I would do just about anything to protect them. And as someone already stated, we have right to bear arms and defend ourself. I love living in Texas with a bunch of no BS hillbillies who are feel the same way. But I know not all places are like this, and that isn't right.

In a better world (cause lets face perfect doesnt exsist), everyone would take care of their animals or get slapped with animal neglect/cruelty, peoples rights would come first and when someone broke into a house and was shot but not killed they would NOT be able to sue the home owner. This is why I am a firm believer in dead bodies tell no tales. Just make sure the blood splatter backs up your story!

Last edited:
Unfortunately in the county I am in in SC the law must catch the dog in the act or you have to deal with animal control and trap the dog.

In the mean time much havoc ensues - including being attacked by the neighbor's dog on your own driveway.

Too bad (the cop will say), call animal control. One cop actually told us to move...guess what, that's exactly what we did...best thing for all of us.

10 wooded acres and loving it...
do you know that for a fact as you have personally looked up the county ordinance? I ask this because just a quick look at the SC animal control law says it is legal to shoot a animal attacking people or other animals. It also seems a dog worrying or killing sheep has a special section and these dogs are also to be shot, sheep killing must be a big problem down there to have a special state law about it. I can't see any law enforcement body actually expecting a person to subject themselves to a vicious dog attack rather than shooting it. Never take the word of any cop on what these laws actually are. Many cops will intentionally lie or are uninformed about many of the laws which are actually on the books. That cop may not like the idea of dogs being shot so they will tell you it is illegal when in all reality it isn't. The child shooting a dog with a bb gun may be illegal as it could be looked at as intentionally causing pain under some animal cruelty law, that is different from shooting to kill to defend oneself.

Last edited:
do you know that for a fact as you have personally looked up the county ordinance? I ask this because just a quick look at the SC animal control law says it is legal to shoot a animal attacking people or other animals. It also seems a dog worrying or killing sheep has a special section and these dogs are also to be shot, sheep killing must be a big problem down there to have a special state law about it. I can't see any law enforcement body actually expecting a person to subject themselves to a vicious dog attack rather than shooting it. Never take the word of any cop on what these laws actually are. Many cops will intentionally lie or are uninformed about many of the laws which are actually on the books. That cop may not like the idea if dogs being shot so they will tell you it is illegal when in all reality it isn't. The child shooting a dog with a bb gun may be illegal as it could be looked at as intentionally causing pain under some animal cruelty law, that is different from shooting to kill to defend oneself.

I agree, no court would uphold a cop telling you that you can't defend yourself from harm in anyway you can. If a dog was attacking, you bet I would fight back and if I clubbed it so that I broke bones or killed it, I would be justified as long as I had torn clothes and bite marks to back up my claims. And yes, in a situation like that I would go all cavewoman and beat it as much as it took to save my life. Same thing goes if a person attacked me, I would bite, kick, punch, scream, whatever it took.

Last edited:
do you know that for a fact as you have personally looked up the county ordinance? I ask this because just a quick look at the SC animal control law says it is legal to shoot a animal attacking people or other animals. It also seems a dog worrying or killing sheep has a special section and these dogs are also to be shot, sheep killing must be a big problem down there to have a special state law about it. I can't see any law enforcement body actually expecting a person to subject themselves to a vicious dog attack rather than shooting it. Never take the word of any cop on what these laws actually are. Many cops will intentionally lie or are uninformed about many of the laws which are actually on the books. That cop may not like the idea of dogs being shot so they will tell you it is illegal when in all reality it isn't. The child shooting a dog with a bb gun may be illegal as it could be looked at as intentionally causing pain under some animal cruelty law, that is different from shooting to kill to defend oneself.
I was told I had to go through Animal Control - the cop said it repeatedly and really didn't care what the other facts were.
The HOA didn't even do anything about the attacks except mention it in the newsletter...did not change a thing.
My son was only 10 at the time - he wasn't able to brandish any weapon more powerful than a BB-gun. He LOVES to be outdoors and was tired of being cornered and threatened by this dog on his own property. Many people in the neighborhood were sick of it.

After dealing repeatedly with the county police and trying to reason with the neighbor - getting no where - we decided we needed more privacy and no more sub-divisions (even though we had 3 acres). I know that may not be a solution for many but all-in-all it was a blessing. Those neighbors went bankrupt and the bank took their house - it's too bad, they had a young family but sometimes what goes around comes around.

To be honest with you we never pursued it beyond getting the county police involved assuming their take on the law was accurate. We had no live stock at that time - just people stock.

I was told I had to go through Animal Control - the cop said it repeatedly and really didn't care what the other facts were.
The HOA didn't even do anything about the attacks except mention it in the newsletter...did not change a thing.
My son was only 10 at the time - he wasn't able to brandish any weapon more powerful than a BB-gun. He LOVES to be outdoors and was tired of being cornered and threatened by this dog on his own property. Many people in the neighborhood were sick of it.

After dealing repeatedly with the county police and trying to reason with the neighbor - getting no where - we decided we needed more privacy and no more sub-divisions (even though we had 3 acres). I know that may not be a solution for many but all-in-all it was a blessing. Those neighbors went bankrupt and the bank took their house - it's too bad, they had a young family but sometimes what goes around comes around.

To be honest with you we never pursued it beyond getting the county police involved assuming their take on the law was accurate. We had no live stock at that time - just people stock.

I am sorry that inconsiderate and stupid people forced you to move, but I am also happy that you have a home that is safe for your family. Always check the written laws for your area, the written law is what is right, not some cop who may not know them or who may not like them. I am lucky, most of our sheriffs also live out here and know how dangerous those dogs can be. They also know about the hoodlums that like to break in as pranks or to steal. After a couple down the street got broke into, the sheriffs walked the neighborhood asking if anyone had seen anything and the sheriff I spoke to told me, if you get broke into wait until the blood splatter shows he was inside the house, over the threshold, aim for the head or heart and shoot him dead. A broken lock doesn't always hold up in court and dead bodies can't try to sue you. That advice was some of the best I have been given.

Last edited:
I am a scientist and see this information showing up in mainstream popularized science publications has me concerned.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...zes-300-birds-after-cockfighting-farm-raided/

The rehabilitation related statement as justification for euthanizing issue indicates either ignorance of author or attempt to misinform public. Such is also popping up in with respect to other components of agriculture production where authors write well be may not be getting all facts straight. Facts straight should be more important than grammar and spelling.

I am a scientist and see this information showing up in mainstream popularized science publications has me concerned.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...zes-300-birds-after-cockfighting-farm-raided/

The rehabilitation related statement as justification for euthanizing issue indicates either ignorance of author or attempt to misinform public. Such is also popping up in with respect to other components of agriculture production where authors write well be may not be getting all facts straight. Facts straight should be more important than grammar and spelling.

Yes and unfortunately the laws are subject to "interpretation" by the individual. However most courts and juries would uphold the spirit of the law, not a single persons interpretation. I don't trust politicians, and a lot of law enforcement officers can but jerks like normal people, but I hope a jury made up of the average common man, living in the same area and with the same fears, wants, needs would rule in favor of self defense.

That being said, this is not a perfect world and it is full of dumb or selfish people.

I don't like euthanizing as the answer to our dog/cat problem, but until people take responsibility for their animals by containing them and spay/neuter to reduce the population, I will acknowledge that euthanizing is kinder than letting the dogs starve, die from disease, get hit by cars, get attacked by other dogs or predators, or endangering the lives of people.

Last edited:
I think this law is vague and wide open for interpretation. By what you're telling me is that if I have chickens killed by the neighbors dog, which I have, then I can hunt the dog down and shoot to kill even if it's on their property or another property owners place just as long as it's not in an enclosure? I think that's what you're telling me so I'll go on from there. Maybe we should check out the laws about discharging firearms into other people's property.

Hunting down a dog after an attack has taken place is not allowed. Generally, a farmer may legally kill a dog only on the farmer's own property. An Illinois court ruled that a sheep farmer who followed a dog back to its owner's home (in a residential area, no less) and shot it there an hour after the dog had killed some of his sheep was not protected under the Illinois statute. (People v. Pope, 383 N.E.2d 278 (1978).)

A dog is not, however, necessarily safe as soon as it leaves the farmer's property. In general, a farmer who wants retaliation is allowed to pursue a dog for a "reasonable time." What is a reasonable time under the circumstances is a question that's resolved when the lawsuit gets to court.

I think you may be on to something but it's not cut and dried. The laws will always be open to interpretation and will vary state to state and county to county and city to city.

you can't use il law in Missouri different laws

also do not ever trust what any LEO tells you the law is, look it up for yourself or find a pro that dos it for a living. Copwatch, photography is not a crime, ex cop law student, are proof that most police do not know the laws

Last edited:
you can't use il law in Missouri different laws

also do not ever trust what any LEO tells you the law is, look it up for yourself or find a pro that dos it for a living. Copwatch, photography is not a crime, ex cop law student, are proof that most police do not know the laws 

You know, it's a shame that we, who the laws are supposed to protect, have to defend ourselves from both predators and then the law too!

Back
Top Bottom