Neighbor shooting BB guns at my birds!

That would have made me sooooo angry I mean, they weren't even on his property. Arent there any laws against that??!!

In most states and cities there are laws against discharging any firearm in a property that is not yours. There are also laws that prohibited discharging a firearm when neighbors homes are within a certain distance. However the burden of proof falls to the person.

In most states and cities there are laws against discharging any firearm in a property that is not yours. There are also laws that prohibited discharging a firearm when neighbors homes are within a certain distance. However the burden of proof falls to the person.
remember FIREARM, a BB gun is powered by air or spring power not powder. But there are laws against shooting the chickens.

remember FIREARM, a BB gun is powered by air or spring power not powder. But there are laws against shooting the chickens.

BB guns can cause damage, and some, like mine, shoot pellets which are lethal to birds. Shooting someone elses animal, who is contained on owners property, with BB or pellet is animal cruelty. Shooting across a fence line is reckless endangerment I believe.

Last edited:
Of course it's illegal to shoot my birds across property lines, reckless endangerment anyone? We were home at the time and have multiple pets (dog, cats, chickens). I spoke to him yesterday, told him the roo would be leaving that same day, asked him to confirm for me that the roo was the problem, and that the rest of my birds would be safe... he went into full denial mode, denied having a problem, denied seeing me see him do it, denied being home that day, and vehemently denied the range of his bb guns ability to reach my bird pen, at which point I replied, "that might explain the accuracy problem you're having :/

Probably not the brightest remark I could have made to a trained marksman who is obviously attempting to backpedal and cover his criminal behavior even though I'm trying to do him a favor by discussing it privately, as neighbors & off the record. He suggested I take a picture next time, which is vaguely threatening in my opinion, seeing as how it implies that there may be a next time.

Overheard a domestic disturbance last night that leads me to believe he knows **** well he is screwed should I pursue criminal charges because there is physical evidence such as dings on the tree trunk (which would reveal trajectory) and I would imagine there are more than a few bbs to be found in the detritus in and around the pen, probably one in the bird I buried too.

I'm going to let him stew on that for a few. Any future injury to pets will be examined by a professional third party immediately upon discovery.

The longer you wait, the less the police will do. You should report it ASAP, if only to ensure YOUR safety. If he feels threatened he may harm you if he is mentally unstable. If you report it and anything happens to you he is then screwed. And he will know that very well if he is training to be a cop. Take measures to ensure your safety as well as the safety of you family and animals. These things escalate quickly.

No no city limits here I live 5 miles from the closest city, and where the police station and court house is.

Well if you live in a rural area then the county law is certainly what you will go by unless your township has it's own ordinance, mine doesn't. Also the police in town have no say it what is done 5 miles from town, you should be under the jurisdiction of the county sheriff and his deputies not the city police dept. unless your township employs a town constable then they would be the one, some have them some don't, they are a thing of the past around here.

Of course it's illegal to shoot my birds across property lines, reckless endangerment anyone? We were home at the time and have multiple pets (dog, cats, chickens). I spoke to him yesterday, told him the roo would be leaving that same day, asked him to confirm for me that the roo was the problem, and that the rest of my birds would be safe... he went into full denial mode, denied having a problem, denied seeing me see him do it, denied being home that day, and vehemently denied the range of his bb guns ability to reach my bird pen, at which point I replied, "that might explain the accuracy problem you're having :/

Probably not the brightest remark I could have made to a trained marksman who is obviously attempting to backpedal and cover his criminal behavior even though I'm trying to do him a favor by discussing it privately, as neighbors & off the record. He suggested I take a picture next time, which is vaguely threatening in my opinion, seeing as how it implies that there may be a next time.

Overheard a domestic disturbance last night that leads me to believe he knows **** well he is screwed should I pursue criminal charges because there is physical evidence such as dings on the tree trunk (which would reveal trajectory) and I would imagine there are more than a few bbs to be found in the detritus in and around the pen, probably one in the bird I buried too.

I'm going to let him stew on that for a few. Any future injury to pets will be examined by a professional third party immediately upon discovery.

I would dig that bird up and examine it for bullet holes. You seriously need to call law enforcement on this guy before something bad happens, there is nothing to be afraid of, the police will have a record and if the neighbor tries anything further he is a real moron. Even if you don't have pictures the bb shots in your waterer and who knows what else will be enough to convince them something is happening here. Also tell them he implied it would continue in the future.

Also there is no way I would get rid of my rooster to try to make peace with this jerk, I would get another rooster just to spite him.

I would dig that bird up and examine it for bullet holes. You seriously need to call law enforcement on this guy before something bad happens, there is nothing to be afraid of, the police will have a record and if the neighbor tries anything further he is a real moron. Even if you don't have pictures the bb shots in your waterer and who knows what else will be enough to convince them something is happening here. Also tell them he implied it would continue in the future.

Also there is no way I would get rid of my rooster to try to make peace with this jerk, I would get another rooster just to spite him.
I tried to tell my SO that we are zoned for 280 birds and I do recognize a need in the community for a rooster rescue & sanctuary ;)
Initially I had assumed my bird got egg bound, she was young enough that she was in process of up sizing the eggs for us. She went from being the first to greet me and the fastest to come scuttling when called, to hiding in the corner behind a wood box and staring at the corner for no apparent reason. She laid a soft(ish) shell egg that broke under her (nowhere near her nesting spot) and was dead the next morning. This happened a week before I caught him shooting at the roo at the feeder, and of course there are always one or two girls there with him, so now I do suspect that she have been shot, hence the egg never finished and just dropped out where she stood. Looking back the shooting makes more sense than egg bound considering she laid daily, right up to & including the day of the soft shell.

*sigh* I really liked that bird.

I tried to tell my SO that we are zoned for 280 birds and I do recognize a need in the community for a rooster rescue & sanctuary ;)
Initially I had assumed my bird got egg bound, she was young enough that she was in process of up sizing the eggs for us. She went from being the first to greet me and the fastest to come scuttling when called, to hiding in the corner behind a wood box and staring at the corner for no apparent reason. She laid a soft(ish) shell egg that broke under her (nowhere near her nesting spot) and was dead the next morning. This happened a week before I caught him shooting at the roo at the feeder, and of course there are always one or two girls there with him, so now I do suspect that she have been shot, hence the egg never finished and just dropped out where she stood. Looking back the shooting makes more sense than egg bound considering she laid daily, right up to & including the day of the soft shell.

*sigh* I really liked that bird.

i would dig her up and check for BB shots.

Back
Top Bottom