Neighbor shooting BB guns at my birds!

i would dig her up and check for BB shots.
Shes been in the ground 2 weeks, my husband found her in a box in the beer fridge out in the shop, so he buried her for me while I was at work (I was lucky to pull her out of the coop and get her in the box & fridge without bawling). I'd hoped to send her to Davis for necropsy but didn't have a styrofoam cooler handy and had to work most of the week. Now I really wish I would have sent her anyway.

Well if you live in a rural area then the county law is certainly what you will go by unless your township has it's own ordinance, mine doesn't. Also the police in town have no say it what is done 5 miles from town, you should be under the jurisdiction of the county sheriff and his deputies not the city police dept. unless your township employs a town constable then they would be the one, some have them some don't, they are a thing of the past around here.

I agree with this post. It's pretty unlikely that a county wouldn't allow a farmer to protect his/her livestock from predation. The sheriff is usually responsible for county law enforcement.

I have seen what a BB gun wielded by an idiot can do. More than 15 years ago an idiot teenager put his BB over the fence line into my parents yard shooting. I though he was shooting at her pugs that I had just let out. But then I found a badly injured wild dove, in order to save it the vet had to amputate his wing. We did our best for him, but he wanted freedom which he couldn't have. We bought him girlfriends and a large cage, but he never sang or mated, or was happy in general. He died old but lived a miserable life in confinement. I let those idiots know I had seen what happened, they couldn't miss me charging across the yard yelling when it happened. And still, a year later those same morons shattered my parents glass sliding front door with BB guns.

When I purchased my property I called the sheriff and was informed that yes even BB guns were considered a firearm and should Not be shot in a residential area. I was also informed if I have to discharge a firearm in defense of my family, myself, or my animals it had better NOT be a BB gun but a "real" gun. Otherwise I was not in fact in fear of my life.

That seems a little confusing, but that is what the sheriff told me. Anyone shooting a BB at my yard can get hit with reckless endangerment charges. Anyone shooting at dogs or cats with a BB gun can get charged with animal cruelty. But a BB gun is not a self defense weapon.

Last edited:
If you want to get technical, our 2nd Amendment gives us the right to defend our property and life with firearms and that right shall not be infringed on, period. That means that no state, county, city, township or other can pass laws that infringe on that constitutional right. They do but they are not legal and a good lawyer can prevail against them.

Wonder what an anonymous "heads-up" note to his future employer would garner?

Sounds a bit unstable to me - dressing up and 'playing' police man.

This is the kind of public servant we need?

Don't they vet these people?

In SC if your chickens are lose but on your property it is the dog owner's responsibility to make sure the dog is kept off of your property. Chicken owner is not responsible for keeping chickens penned for safety.
Unfortunately in the county I am in in SC the law must catch the dog in the act or you have to deal with animal control and trap the dog.

In the mean time much havoc ensues - including being attacked by the neighbor's dog on your own driveway.

Too bad (the cop will say), call animal control. One cop actually told us to move...guess what, that's exactly what we did...best thing for all of us.

10 wooded acres and loving it...

Unfortunately in the county I am in in SC the law must catch the dog in the act or you have to deal with animal control and trap the dog.

In the mean time much havoc ensues - including being attacked by the neighbor's dog on your own driveway.

Too bad (the cop will say), call animal control. One cop actually told us to move...guess what, that's exactly what we did...best thing for all of us.

10 wooded acres and loving it...

Having been the victim of dog attacks just walking down the street, any dog that bites me, or my children dies. The people here don't give rabies shots, so i dont take chances like that. If I can't capture the dog during the attack I will injure it severely, and then raise a stink about rabies and make animal control do their jobs. I am not the only person to have been attacked either, a 15 year old was also bitten and his father was furious that animal control didn't come to trap and remove the dogs. But I am a witch with a capital B. It really sucks that I have to take a billy club with me to walk to the gas station on the corner, but I do. If 1 of the aggressive dogs (yes they have been around so long i know who is mean and who isnt) gets on my property, it is shot, no questions.

This will probably piss a lot of people off, but dogs who attack people need to be put down fast before they kill someone. My arms are full of scars from dog bites, my legs healed thanks to wearing jeans all the time, I dont want my kids to the same scars. Do i hate dogs, no I have 6 dogs, they are much spoiled and loved, have their shots, and are contained in a dog pen at all times. A few are dogs I found on the street starving and abused.

Last edited:
Having been the victim of dog attacks just walking down the street, any dog that bites me, or my children dies. The people here don't give rabies shots, so i dont take chances like that. If I can't capture the dog during the attack I will injure it severely, and then raise a stink about rabies and make animal control do their jobs. I am not the only person to have been attacked either, a 15 year old was also bitten and his father was furious that animal control didn't come to trap and remove the dogs. But I am a witch with a capital B. It really sucks that I have to take a billy club with me to walk to the gas station on the corner, but I do. If 1 of the aggressive dogs (yes they have been around so long i know who is mean and who isnt) gets on my property, it is shot, no questions.

This will probably piss a lot of people off, but dogs who attack people need to be put down fast before they kill someone. My arms are full of scars from dog bites, my legs healed thanks to wearing jeans all the time, I dont want my kids to the same scars. Do i hate dogs, no I have 6 dogs, they are much spoiled and loved, have their shots, and are contained in a dog pen at all times. A few are dogs I found on the street starving and abused.
I know exactly where you are coming from...you should not be attacked when taking a walk or I your own yard.
My son had a BB-gun and shot at the dog on our property. The police were called - we were reprimanded.
I told the cop - My son has my permission to defend himself in his own yard. He told me the only thing we could do was call animal control. I said, yeah, OK, now please get out of my foyer.

So many dogs are abused and not properly cared for.

I know exactly where you are coming from...you should not be attacked when taking a walk or I your own yard.
My son had a BB-gun and shot at the dog on our property. The police were called - we were reprimanded.
I told the cop - My son has my permission to defend himself in his own yard. He told me the only thing we could do was call animal control. I said, yeah, OK, now please get out of my foyer.

So many dogs are abused and not properly cared for.

Yes, most strays are victims themselves. I know this and feel bad for them, but not bad enough that I will risk my life or my families life for them.

As for being reprimanded, check with your sheriff about the laws concerning dangerous roaming animals. Hopefully there is a law that states if in fear for your safety you can defend yourself. I'm betting that like my county, a BB gun is not considered a self defense weapon where you live. If you had shot the dog dead, called the cops and told them the dog was threatening, nothing more than a report would have been filed.

Back
Top Bottom