Neighbor Took My Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't care if my neighbor thought I was a liar if I knew she were a thief.
The point is, the neighbor wouldn’t just think you were a liar, you’d have proven yourself to be one. If you’re going to lie about having proof of ownership, how do I know you’re not lying about actually owning them? How do I know they don’t actually belong to some other neighbor kid, but you’ve always wanted them. and have found your chance? (A stretch, I know, but can you see where I’m going with that?)

I have a hard time calling the neighbor a thief. That indicates that the neighbor took the chickens from OP’s property. The chickens came to her.

The police have better things to do than deal with this, that's why I suggested *threatening* to call. If she still refused after a threat to involve authorities and a promise to try and contain them, call the cops dude.
If you’re going to “threaten”, be prepared to back it up. Otherwise you’re just making noise and wasting time. I agree that the police have better things to do with their time, but the neighbor may welcome their involvement. It could also backfire as there may be fines for allowing your animals to roam the neighborhood.

I suppose that would be a *nice* way of approaching her, but it also would have been *nice* of her neighbor to let her know that the chickens had been coming over, if she didn't know who's chickens they were it would be appropriate to ask around the community or put up a *Found Annoying Chickens* sign or something. I personally wouldn't negotiate with her after she refused to give them back without proof of ownership, that proves to me she has no intention of giving them back without fighting over it.
Actually, the neighbor did show mercy. She didn’t kill the chickens, give them away, take them for a long drive in the country and release them, or report OP for having nuisance animals. We don’t know her motivation for locking them up, but maybe it was to see who would come looking for them. Maybe she’ll give them back once she can be assured they will no longer show up in her yard.

Offering to pay for damages isn’t negotiating - it’s taking responsibility for allowing the chickens to go over there in the first place, and maybe making amends with the neighbor so if the chickens ended up there again, the neighbor might be more willing to just call and let you come get them.

OP stated in their first post that “sometimes” the chickens get out of their yard. “Sometimes” is kind of a vague term. They apparently didn’t know where the chickens were going, so why would the neighbor know where they were coming from?

We haven’t heard from OP in a while, so we may never know how this story ends. I do hope the OP gets their chickens back.

Last edited:
My chickens free range, and sometimes they get out of our yard. One day I noticed that four or five of my younger ones didn't come back. A couple belionging from that group did return. I thought that was strange. We looked around a bit and spotted a cockerel that looked almost exactly like one I was missing. We talked to the owner of the house and she said yes, she had caught some chickens in her yard and she had them locked up because they were being "destructive". I asked what kind of damage was done and she said "They've been pooping everywhere so I locked them up." We described the chickens we were missing and she said thats what the ones she had looked like and she'd also seen a black and red cockerel "A pretty, unusual looking bird" coming over but she couldn't catch him which kind of gives me the hint that she would nab him too if given the chance. She said he'd been bringing over a white speckled hen, one that usually stays in our yard over. She didn't seem keen on giving them back and asked for pictures of them. We didn't have any at the moment :(

So it seems that she doesn't want to give them back, but they are my chickens and I really want them back. I have no idea why they'd even go over there unles they were being fed as this house is a ways from ours. So that gives me the suspicion that she was trying to lure them over there? I'm also missing a peachick that likes to wander around with said chickens and I wouldn't be surprised if she had him too. I dont want to jump to conclusions though. I do have some other chickens I'd be willing to trade in for the ones she has. When we were talking to her she wasn't being very reasonable but we're trying to figure out how to get them back. My chickens are all penned now to avoid losing any more. Thoughts and tips please?
When our nabor stole our donkey we went over when they were not home and took our donkey back. You could do that if you want. It was kind of the same story with our donkey.

When our manor stole our donkey we went over when they were not home and took our donkey back. You could do that if you want. It was kind of the same story with our donkey.

Bad advice.

Trespassing. stealing.

Yes, could actually be stealing since chicken owner apparently has no way to verify they are the owner. And they would be going onto another person's property to take something from the property.

Besides, we do not even have an update from the OP - might have their chickens back by now.

FWIW, a friend had neighbor problems. Neighbor was constantly trespassing onto their property (a neighborhood with 0.3-0.5acre lots) to retrieve balls or other items...a lot more to this than retrieving balls. In the end they had to go to court to have the judge basically reprimand trespassing neighbor to "stay out of the yard and do not trespass on another's property" - yes, they were told - by a judge - that they (our friends) were within their rights to expect neighbor to stay on their own property. because otherwise, it is trespassing.

When our nabor stole our donkey we went over when they were not home and took our donkey back. You could do that if you want. It was kind of the same story with our donkey.
I’m curious - did the neighbor come onto your property and take the donkey, or did your donkey “sometimes leave the yard” and end up at the neighbor’s house?

I haven't seen anyone mention the peachick. Assuming it was still young it could've been taken by an animal, but if the neighbor has captured that bird, maybe it could be a bit easier to proving the ownership, as peafowl aren't super common. Although because of this, it may even be harder to prove the ownership of this bird.
... as in more people may try to "claim" the peachick.

So sorry for your loss. Appears the OP is in a pickle. She is letting the birds free range. Personally I would talk to the neighbor and tell them you are missing some birds and would be glad to take them and assure them that the chickens won't be back in their yard pooping anymore and make a nice secure pen for them. Sorry to say this when when you free range birds, eventually you will loose some to predators and in this case a neighbor and the OP has no way of identification. If the birds are locked up, are they being cared for appropriately? You can catch more bees with honey than with vinegar, if you catch my drift. Maybe offer the neighbor the cost of the feed for the birds. I think there will be some type of fee since the birds roamed into the neighbors yard. Good luck...

Guys seriously.... some of these comments this person is a minor we need to bear that in mind.....she came on here for some advice she admittee she was wrong to not fence them in ...instead of such a harsh debate sorry if u dont agree but this is to much we need to respect shes younger and give HELPFUL advice. I Love BYC but this is one of the first posts i am really disappointed with some of the reactions....
Rant over
Sam

Actually, the neighbor did show mercy. She didn’t kill the chickens, give them away, take them for a long drive in the country and release them, or report OP for having nuisance animals.

Not killing, rehoming, or releasing into the wild is your definition of showing mercy? It would have been the right thing to do to report the OP for having nuisance animals, considering all of the things you listed that she could have done, and as well what she did, which was steal the chickens. OP would still have her chickens, perhaps a fine, and still be motivated to keep her animals on her property if that was the course of action the neighbor had taken.

I think this a foolish debate, which I no longer wish to partake in, unless someone can come up with a reasonable argument as to why it's okay that this old lady took this kid's birds (and won't give them back).

Like I said before, the OP is likely the only person who has laid claim to these animals.

Last edited:
Guys seriously.... some of these comments this person is a minor we need to bear that in mind.....she came on here for some advice she admittee she was wrong to not fence them in ...instead of such a harsh debate sorry if u dont agree but this is to much we need to respect shes younger and give HELPFUL advice. I Love BYC but this is one of the first posts i am really disappointed with some of the reactions....
Rant over
Sam
Sorry :oops: I missed the post and thought the OP was an adult. Hopefully she can get her birds back. I wish her the best of luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom