Neighbor won't stop feeding chickens

deacons

Songster
Oct 8, 2013
New Hampshire
This is a bit of a rant, but I'm really having problems with my neighbor. He won't stop feeding the chickens. We've put signs up, still didn't stop. We've confronted directly, and it got better for while.

But tonight we were out for dinner, and came home to find what I can only infer was the remnants of a CHICKEN BURRITO in the run. I give my chickens fruit and veggie scraps, but I would never give them what looks like gross processed food, full of salt and fat. And even worse, they apparently turned their noses up at it (spoiled with organic fresh fruits and veggies I guess ;)) so now there's all this gross food, including chunks of meat, that I have to clean up so I'm not inviting all the neighborhood predators to the run overnight.

I guess we have to talk to him yet again and put the signs back up. It's just so frustrating!!! I know it comes from good intentions, but I just can't imagine ever doing that.

I'd put a lock on the run. And if they still don't stop you always have throat punch Thursday. Lol if it was me I'd have a talk with him then sit by the coop and clean my gun. They don't have to know it's just a water pistol tehehe

I'd put a lock on the run. And if they still don't stop you always have throat punch Thursday. Lol if it was me I'd have a talk with him then sit by the coop and clean my gun. They don't have to know it's just a water pistol tehehe

Ha! That's one way to do it- would fit right in here in NH. The crazy thing is that my direct neighbor (not the one I'm talking about) is the town police chief!

I've been amazed that having these chickens has made our yard the most popular in the neighborhood. I'm in a rural town, where everyone has several acres, but the houses are relatively close together (small town close, not suburban close). Most of our neighbors are older, and they all bring their grandkids over here to watch the chickens regularly. I like that the neighbors enjoy having the chickens here- much better than the alternative-but the downside is that people seem to have gotten a little too comfortable hanging out around our yard.

But this feeding thing is just too much. It was really gross cleaning up all that "spanish rice" and big chunks of meat all over the run.

You could try a "No Trespassing" sign and just verbally let the respectful neighbors know they're welcomed.

I just think that is so rude. If it were my neighbors they'd have Spanish rice on their front door. Maybe a sign with appropriate chicken snacks is what you need.

Ha! That's one way to do it- would fit right in here in NH. The crazy thing is that my direct neighbor (not the one I'm talking about) is the town police chief!

I've been amazed that having these chickens has made our yard the most popular in the neighborhood. I'm in a rural town, where everyone has several acres, but the houses are relatively close together (small town close, not suburban close). Most of our neighbors are older, and they all bring their grandkids over here to watch the chickens regularly. I like that the neighbors enjoy having the chickens here- much better than the alternative-but the downside is that people seem to have gotten a little too comfortable hanging out around our yard.

But this feeding thing is just too much. It was really gross cleaning up all that "spanish rice" and big chunks of meat all over the run.
Maybe your girls shouldn't be so darn picky. my girls would probably gobble that all up and ask for more.
wink.png

But yeah, the neighbors should be checking in with you about feeding out leftovers and whatnot to your chickens. If all of the neighborhood cleans out their fridges on the same day, you're going to end up with a lot of food left over that they just ain't going to eat.

Maybe your girls shouldn't be so darn picky.  my girls would probably gobble that all up and ask for more.  ;)

I've never seen them leave treats behind-that just shows you how nasty this food was!

Let's just say they ate enough of it to make cleaning the coop this morning grosser than usual!

Last edited:
I've never seen them leave treats behind-that just shows you how nasty this food was!

Let's just say they ate enough of it to make cleaning the coop this morning grosser than usual!
Gross!
sickbyc.gif
So its not that they turned it down, it was that they threw in so much? I would have to put an end to it. I would not jeopardize the health and nutrition of my pets or my food because of this kind of ignorance. I would suggest definitely putting up "No Trespassing" signs and maybe ask your police chief if for any other advice to make it stop.

I think I would be putting up a sign that said " Do NOT feed the chickens." Then I would also put up a game/trail camera to take some pictures to use to confront the neighbors.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom