Neighborhood dogs keep killing chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnerM

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2016
Ok, so I live in-town and have a small flock of 6 hens and 1 roo, they are all red island red. Ive put up a nice fence and took measures to make sure nothing can get under. It is about 200 sq foot and is attached to an old garden shed that i turned into a nice little coop. I lock my chickens inside overnight because neighborhood dogs roam my yard at night while i'm asleep. I wake up every morning to something different. Last time, a dog found a weak point in the wall AND BROKE A HOLE INTO IT! They killed all of my chickens and I keep having to buy more. I have since boarded every wall but there always seems to be some way for a dog to get my chickens. I am considering killing the dogs but I am a humane person and would much rather get them to stop without harming them. I do not know who owns them. What can I do?

Call animal control, catch the dogs or kill them. Not necessarily in that order.
All states have laws about this. In Missouri, all a dog has to do is worry my livestock and I can track the dog across the state and kill it wherever I find it except in a pen on its owners property.
Also in Missouri, if you have one more witness, you can file claim with the county and they'll pay for the lost animals from the proceeds of dog licenses.

I know it really is awful that the dogs keep getting to your chickens but please, please, please don't hurt the dogs. Its really the owners fault. I would consider electric fencing around the perimeter of the fence. It should deter dogs and any other predator from the chickens. If that isn't an option some barbed wire, though sure to cause a few cuts, would also deter the hungry pups.

I have no hangups in relation to livestock and dogs/cats running amok.
The dogs are killing livestock.
My neighbor with malamutes that killed several of my chickens on multiple occasions told me she wouldn't have blamed me if I killed them.
It is wrong for the dogs to be allowed to be run amok. However, one must protect their livestock.

Or perhaps we should just continue to provide livestock for dogs to kill with no recourse.

It's absolutely right to kill the dogs. That's why the laws are in effect to protect livestock.

Last edited:
I have no hangups.
The dogs are killing livestock.
My neighbor with malamutes that killed several of my chickens on multiple occasions told me she wouldn't have blamed me if I killed them.
It is wrong for the dogs to be allowed to be run amok. However, one must protect their livestock.

Or perhaps we should just continue to provide livestock for dogs to kill with no recourse.

It's absolutely right to kill the dogs. That's why the laws are in effect to protect livestock.

It is wrong for dogs to run amok. But it isn't the dog's fault. Its the owners fault. Call the authorities to pick them up and place them in a shelter. Put up a deterrent. I'm sure foxes, coyotes, and other things could get in too if the dogs got in. Up security is what I'm suggesting. There are more options to consider.

OP, I would definitely do whatever you can to improve your coop setup so predators can't gain access, I would also kill all the dogs.
It isn't right to kill them. Whatever hangups you might have, please don't advise someone to shoot a dog that doesn't know any better.
In many areas a call to the sheriff or animal control will simply dispatch an officer who shoots the dog anyways as well they should. You are right, fox, coyote, and other things can get in too and I would shoot them as well, it is a sure fire way to end the immediate threat to the livestock, next is repairing the fences and coop.

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom