Neighborhood Watch Takes Stand on Backyard Chickens - Brentwood CA

2Girlsn4Hens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 6, 2010
Brentwood
As a few people in Brentwood, California come out from underground to propose a City Council amendment to the current ban on chickens on lots less than 20,000 square feet, our Neighborhood Watch Group circulated this flier to the residents of three housing tracts (one with an HOA) to rile up support against backyard chicken ownership (and it was written by a local psychologist):

Greetings Neighborhood Watch (NW) Participants,
Date: 1/4/10
Group Leaders: Please send out to all your contacts. Thank you.
NW NEWS:
The forwarded email below is from a very concerned resident. She has included an attachment listing her concerns about the Planning Commission's proposal to allow residents to raise three chickens in their backyard. Her list raises many questions about how this proposal may have a negative effect on your quality of life in Brentwood:

I am opposing the Residential Chickens with Facts and not the emotional side to this discussion. I am asking that the city of Brentwood not change the current Municipal Code that prohibits chicken on lots less than 20,00 square feet in residential zones.

• Safety Concerns: coops attract rats, raccoons, coyotes, owls, hawks, and snakes into the backyards of the chicken owners and their neighbors.
• Predators puts everyone (adults, children, and pets) at risk of being seriously harmed.
• Bad hygiene: foul odor in the winter, worse in the summer heat, abundance of flies in and out of our homes
• Noise Problems: chickens crowing at night and in the early morning cause a disturbance to the neighbors, noise and smell will bait pets such as dogs to bark, which will increase the barking problems and more neighbor difficulties.
• Pet waste: chicken owners should be held to the same standards are dog owners. Chicken poop 1000 times a day. Manure sinks.
• Chicken manure will pollute our water system affecting our drinking water with exposure to the rain run off polluting our drinking water with bacteria and excess nutrients. There are no standards of how to care or clean for the manure for residential owners. There are health implications with residential chickens in ill-equipped backyards.
• Contagious Disease: Bird Flu, Contagious diseases can spread through a flock to commercial birds. Disease organisms may be carried on shoes and clothing. Disease caused by microscopic parasites that infects the intestines.
• Decrease of property value-eye soar and it sinks
• Homes built too close together to expect wildlife to live in a confined space.
• Lack of common courteous for the neighbors and the neighborhood
• Animal Shelters unprepared to end up with chickens that are unwanted or have caused a family stress.
• How will the city regulate the maintenance of the coop or backyard area?
• Code enforcement will need to check that owners are properly abiding by the law and maintaining a clean environment?
• What are the standards for cleaning chicken manure that will be implemented?
• Who will educate the resident of the contagious disease and what the early symptoms are?

There is a place for agricultural and a place for residential. We pay a high premium to have the right to not live near farm animals and foul smell.

So Backyard Chicken members, numerous residents wrote the City based on the above information. Now how do we undo the ignorance that has been spread over several large and "loud" neighborhoods before this goes to City Council at the end of the month? Your feedback would be appreciated.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't neighborhood watch funded at least partially by government monies? Meaning that taking sides in issues that are not directly related to neighborhood safety from crime is probably illegal. Certainly at least ill-advised as being a conflicrt of interest.

Many of the concerns are at best invalid/incorrect assumptions, NOT fact.

I would first raise the issue that the flyer is an inappropriate use of government funding and neighborhood watch mailing lists. Then I would counter each concern point-by-point with accurate information, and I would list information sources, not just list "scary" items likely to rouse concern from those who are not familiar or experienced with actual chicken keeping.

I just moved from the city and I would take a crowing rooster over gun shots all night long any time.
I would rather have a stray chicken in my flower bed than a vicious animal running the streets.
Dog feces smells way worse than chicken poop!

Pet waste: chicken owners should be held to the same standards are dog owners. Chicken poop 1000 times a day. Manure sinks.

Although chickens do seem to poop a lot, they do NOT poop 1,000 times per day. And, I agree that dog poo smells way worse than chicken poop.​

To that silly neighborhood watch/dictators : Move to a NEW neighborhood which already has restrictions on not keeping poultry in place. These people are so out of line. If they didn't want to live with chickens they should have moved into a different neighborhood not try and take away the established rights of owners of chickens.

Hello..... why buy a house next to a guy with roosters if you dont wanna hear them crow. Pick your residence according to what fits your needs; I say don't try and take others rights away.

ARGHHHH

Quote:
Brilliant response,
thumbsup.gif

Verify the government link, then go from there. Take each point and refute it with sourced information intended to educate.

I wonder if two people didn't write the notice- right where the part about property values begins the spelling, which was excellent at first, goes downhill.

I think these people need to be educated, not yelled at. Three chickens is no more offensive (maybe less) than one medium sized dog. You must counter each concern with factual information. They are making assertions that are not based in fact, and by challenging each incorrect statement with real information, they will seem like idiots and chicken owners will seem like the smart ones.

Lots of very good info on this forum if you look for it. Since they sent out this list, they should give chicken owners the opportunity to counter their concerns or they are not allowing you an equal say in the debate...

• Safety Concerns: coops attract rats, raccoons, coyotes, owls, hawks, and snakes into the backyards of the chicken owners and their neighbors.Dog, cats, parrots can lure predators.
• Predators puts everyone (adults, children, and pets) at risk of being seriously harmed.
• Bad hygiene: foul odor in the winter, worse in the summer heat, abundance of flies in and out of our homes. I don't have any flies, this is nonsense. Dog poop encourages flies too, but you don't see people complaining about that.
• Noise Problems: chickens crowing at night and in the early morning cause a disturbance to the neighbors, noise and smell will bait pets such as dogs to bark, which will increase the barking problems and more neighbor difficulties.Dogs currently bark without chickens in a neighborhood and they are much louder then a chicken. And dogs can bite and could harm children.
• Pet waste: chicken owners should be held to the same standards are dog owners. Chicken poop 1000 times a day. Manure sinks.The fact that someone said that chickens poop 1,000 times a day means they are making these supposed "facts" up. And people aren't walking chickens to poop, so the mess is noone else's problem
• Chicken manure will pollute our water system affecting our drinking water with exposure to the rain run off polluting our drinking water with bacteria and excess nutrients. There are no standards of how to care or clean for the manure for residential owners. There are health implications with residential chickens in ill-equipped backyards.Dogs have larger poops and several in the backyard can be very bad. If she's really worried about runoff she needs to look at pesticides
• Contagious Disease: Bird Flu, Contagious diseases can spread through a flock to commercial birds. Disease organisms may be carried on shoes and clothing. Disease caused by microscopic parasites that infects the intestines. This is an irrational scare tactic. Did we even have bird flu in the US? Dogs and cats can get rabies...
• Decrease of property value-eye soar and it sinksShe can't even spell SORE right. One man's eye sore, is not anothers.
• Homes built too close together to expect wildlife to live in a confined space.How about dogs, parrots, snakes?
• Lack of common courteous for the neighbors and the neighborhoodHow about the common courtesY (another spelling issue) of others who own barking dogs or who have birds on the back porch.
• Animal Shelters unprepared to end up with chickens that are unwanted or have caused a family stress. Just like any other animals, there are rescue groups that will take them. And most animal shelters are prepared to temporarily take most anything.
• How will the city regulate the maintenance of the coop or backyard area?
• Code enforcement will need to check that owners are properly abiding by the law and maintaining a clean environment?
• What are the standards for cleaning chicken manure that will be implemented?What are the standards for cleaning up dog poop in your back yard?
• Who will educate the resident of the contagious disease and what the early symptoms are?Who will educate the residents that are overreacting?

Back
Top Bottom