Neighbors are complaining!

hrsuperstar

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2017
Hey my chicken peeps! I have two backyard chickens in San Mateo CA. Recently one of my ladies has been naming noise in the morning (let's say 6 am) and when we come out to open to coop we have a neighbor who is yelling out her window to "Shut those chickens up!". She has not reached out to us (it is a apartment complex so I'm not sure which one she is in) and I am concerned that she is going to complain. I don't want to be THAT neighbor that is disturbing the peace but I also love our girls. I feel in a bind. Any suggestions?

Hey my chicken peeps! I have two backyard chickens in San Mateo CA. Recently one of my ladies has been naming noise in the morning (let's say 6 am) and when we come out to open to coop we have a neighbor who is yelling out her window to "Shut those chickens up!". She has not reached out to us (it is a apartment complex so I'm not sure which one she is in) and I am concerned that she is going to complain. I don't want to be THAT neighbor that is disturbing the peace but I also love our girls. I feel in a bind. Any suggestions?
I agree with keeping them dark longer. It's surprising that they're making enough noise to disturb anyone. The only time I hear from mine is after they've laid an egg, and then not for very long. Maybe if you gave the neighbor a dozen eggs once in a while, or a pair of shooter's earmuffs.

My girls can be loud before laying an egg, my oldest girl will sing for an hour, then lay her egg, and sing for another 20 minutes or so,,, She is not as loud as my foghorn rooster, but he is louder than the others.
You might review your local noise laws,,,, the city near me says you can have a rooster,, but another law says it cannot make noise. Guess which one prevails?

Your allowed Chickens in an apartment?...I'm so surprised. I'm from Canada..I guess only in America...:idunno..Here the Bylaw would be at a persons door and charges would be laid..

I live in America and I wouldn't think chickens would be allowed in an apartment either.

Agreed.... Even when I lived in Eastern Washington... which is really rural, outside of Spokane, I don't think you would have dreamed of doing that.

Back
Top Bottom