Neighbors are complaining!

Hey my chicken peeps! I have two backyard chickens in San Mateo CA. Recently one of my ladies has been naming noise in the morning (let's say 6 am) and when we come out to open to coop we have a neighbor who is yelling out her window to "Shut those chickens up!". She has not reached out to us (it is a apartment complex so I'm not sure which one she is in) and I am concerned that she is going to complain. I don't want to be THAT neighbor that is disturbing the peace but I also love our girls. I feel in a bind. Any suggestions?
:welcome

First things first - are you allowed to have chickens where you live? If it’s legal, then I would suggest you try to insulate their coop better, keep it darker longer, things like that. If it’s not legal, find them a home now while you can take your time to do so instead of having a deadline from animal control.

My girls are also very vocal in the morning, wanting to get out of the small run attached to the coop. I can hear them in my bedroom with the windows closed. I always hurry out to let them out before they make too much ruckus. The one neighbor that lives right behind me (closest to the coop) says he never hears them (whew!) but I haven't heard any complaints from the rest, either. I am hoping that the new coop I am building will help with that, as they will be staying inside the coop until they get let out directly into their yard. This coop will have much thicker walls than my prefab, but more ventilation, so maybe it will not muffle it any better. Unfortunately, even if you are allowed chickens, as we are, if the neighbors complain about the noise, it is considered much like a nuisance dog barking or a loud party. Maybe relocating the coop to another part of the yard, or maybe an automatic door will help. I am thinking of trying an auto door if the new coop doesn't resolve the noise.

Back
Top Bottom