Neighbors are feeding wild raccoons, now what.

Pics
Oct 14, 2021
Western Washington
Our neighbors are feeding wild raccoons and the raccoons eat my ducks! They have never got a chicken (so far) we caught two of them and killed them (obviously) and we hung the raccoons tail on the ducks cage, it seems to keep raccoons away (for now) so the first time a raccoon came it was because we didn't close the ducks cage all the way and it got two khaki hens and hurt Shadow duck now she only has one eye and she needed surgery. The second time we were camping and the farm sitter didn't lock the ducks up so a raccoon got one of my two favorite khaki drakes named Juneau. (luckily we brought Shadow duck camping with us!) The third time (and hopefully last) a raccoon came and got Pierre and one of my hens, he was my favorite duck and my last drake! It was right before we went camping so the farmsitter sold us a mixed drake and my hens LOVED him, we named him Fenix. We know our neighbors are feeding the raccoons because we saw some cat food out so we asked our other neighbors if their neighbors are feeding raccoons and sure enough, they said yes! Our other neighbor likes raccoons and even has a raccoon welcome sign right by their doorway.

This is dangerous not only to your birds, but to everyone in the area including you. Raccoons are a major rabies vector (alongside skunks and a few others). They can also pass on Leptospirosis in drinking water/water sources on your property and the surrounding areas.

In many areas it is also illegal to feed wildlife and they can be fined pretty heavily.

So sorry about your birds. And I'm sorry for the raccoons too. They wouldn't have had to lose their lives if humans hadn't been feeding them in the first place. Very sad on both sides.

I hope you get this resolved soon, please keep us updated!

This is dangerous not only to your birds, but to everyone in the area including you. Raccoons are a major rabies vector (alongside skunks and a few others). They can also pass on Leptospirosis in drinking water/water sources on your property and the surrounding areas.

In many areas it is also illegal to feed wildlife and they can be fined pretty heavily.

So sorry about your birds. And I'm sorry for the raccoons too. They wouldn't have had to lose their lives if humans hadn't been feeding them in the first place. Very sad on both sides.

I hope you get this resolved soon, please keep us updated!
Raccoons can get very aggressive to people if they don't feed them the right amount of times a day! And then they go attack people and their animals because they aren't fed enough!

Raccoons can get very aggressive to people if they don't feed them the right amount of times a day! And then they go attack people and their animals because they aren't fed enough!
id call your state DOW and see if you can shoot/trap them because they are damaging your livestock but probably the better idea is to just lock your ducks up better and add more security measures

have you ever thought of an automatic coop door?

Back
Top Bottom