Neighbor's chicken hiding in my yard

Ceakmama

Songster
May 2, 2021
Alaska
My chickens are in an enclosed run/coop. They do not free range. I noticed a "wild" chicken in my yard outside of the coop and I tracked down her owners. The owner came over to get her chicken back and the chicken had disappeared. I can't seem to catch her myself, so she's been sleeping in the woods on my property and helping herself to my garden during the day. I do not want chickens in my garden, that's why mine don't free range. It seems this chicken has battled my cat, since he also free ranges. He was a little beat up from it. I'm not mad about that, because it happens with a free ranging cat. The problem is, the owner basically said they've been trying to lure their hen back home for 2 weeks now and they're ready to give up. She is 5 years old and doesn't lay eggs anymore. So now I'm stuck with a senior chicken in my yard! What should I do? How do I catch her?

Seems to be a smart girl, even so, she wont survive long being "wild"
Yes, she seems too smart for her own good. Dang girl ate my strawberry plants this morning. She seems interested in my coop. Would it be a mistake to lock my chickens in the run in the morning and try to get her to hop in the back door of the coop? I just don't want to risk her spreading any pests or disease if she could have it. Is that a concern if I keep my chickens separate, but let her in the coop?

Yes, she seems too smart for her own good. Dang girl ate my strawberry plants this morning. She seems interested in my coop. Would it be a mistake to lock my chickens in the run in the morning and try to get her to hop in the back door of the coop? I just don't want to risk her spreading any pests or disease if she could have it. Is that a concern if I keep my chickens separate, but let her in the coop?
I wouldnt do that, just because I fear diseases. Your neighbors may raise their chicken differently and I wouldn't risk it....

Try to get a catch and release trap. Or maybe tell your neighbor to?? Its their hen after all...

I wouldnt do that, just because I fear diseases. Your neighbors may raise their chicken differently and I wouldn't risk it....

Try to get a catch and release trap. Or maybe tell your neighbor to?? Its their hen after all...
Right, I was hoping they'd do more to catch her. I'll have to figure a trap out, go get one, or tell them. 😐

Back
Top Bottom