Neighbors chicken on my property!

Chickencrazy22

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2016
I have a flock of 1 rooster and 5 hens. We never let the hens Freerange as my mother doesn’t want them to. However we let our rooster freerange bvside Mom doesn’t want him with the hens. He has been put up all winter due to foxes not havubg enough food and hunting during the day. Anyways it’s almost spring and we are about to let him back out. Since we have had him up we will let the hens out with him now. The only problem is my neighbors chickens keep coming on our property. Our property is a 5 acre lot and the chickens coop is 3 acres back from the road. Sometimes the rooster will follow me up to the house about 2 acres back from the road. He will sit in our porch or our window or sometimes come in the garage we don’t mind. But the neighbors hens and roosters have started crossing the road and wondering into our property to get bugs out of our ditch. I am afraid my chickens will see theirs and chase them and either get hit by a car or fight them and get injured. Our rooster has free ranged for 2 years and theirs have for 3 and this has never been a problem but they just started coming to our property. What should I do??

I would get animal control in on it as it does not seem like they can be bothered to keep their animals on their land which I'm sure there are local laws on keeping you animals specially livestock on your own land and not letting it wander. maybe if some hits them or a wild animal eats them they will get the message and keep the animals on their own land.

I would think the first and best thing to do would be to speak to your neighbours and tell them your concerns. They may not want their chickens getting run over either! If your hens are staying on your property then it's not really your problem to fence yours in. Your chickens will probably chase your neighbours hens away as it is their territory.

I agree talk to your neighbour hopefully they will be nice and keep their chickens on their own land. I personally have to deal with my own getting over our fence into our neighbours yard but he has no animals.. just loads of weeds our chicken likes so I normally give him eggs in turn to let them nibble a little on the weeds by way of sorry and thanks.

To keep them separate you may need to put up movable fencing to limit how far your birds can range.

It sounds like your neighbor has little interest in keeping his animals properly contained and simply expects you to accept any mess they leave behind.

It is shameful that they don't seem to care.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom