Neighbor's Chickens Trying to Join My Flock

Pics
Oh wow sounds like the story of my life right now... except I am dealing with more birds... now feeling the strain and knowing things need to go in a better direction. It is not a sustainable situation. Considering sharing how they can rehome a lot of their birds. Honestly am not sure what to do next. My first approach was kind but now I see it will have to be more practical still kind as possible. Language and culture differences make this more difficult. I am not sure what their expectations are. I guess me and Google translate will have to take time and make another attempt to resolve this more functionally soon. Meanwhile we have a feral cat issue... 😑
I don’t get a clear picture of you’re problem. It’s best to start a new thread if you like to get some tips on you’re situation. And do describe the problems with the cats too. Bc many cats are a huge problem for chicks but none/way less for adult chickens. A link to this new thread here probably would give you some extra responders. And where do you live? You can add this is you’re profile.

call a humane society or animal control, thats neglect
Time to get tough-if it was me I'd simply keep the neighbors chickens and have them arrested if they tresspassed on my property to try and take them back!! They can try and prove who's chickens are who's! Guineas are territorial and would chase them home but then they might starve-what a lousy situation!! No mercy for animal abuse here!!!

I don’t get a clear picture of you’re problem. It’s best to start a new thread if you like to get some tips on you’re situation. And do describe the problems with the cats too. Bc many cats are a huge problem for chicks but none/way less for adult chickens. A link to this new thread here probably would give you some extra responders. And where do you live? You can add this is you’re profile.
I have a friend who had the same problem with the neighbors chickens. She just started rehoming the birds that were not hers that the neighbor would not keep on their own property. She reduced about 50 birds. The neighbors never said anything to her about it- I guess they were overwhelmed and did not want to take responsibility for them.

Time to get tough-if it was me I'd simply keep the neighbors chickens and have them arrested if they tresspassed on my property to try and take them back!! They can try and prove who's chickens are who's! Guineas are territorial and would chase them home but then they might starve-what a lousy situation!! No mercy for animal abuse here!!!
The situation is more nuanced than that. I believe OP is interested in either her or her family buying the property, so they want to stay on good terms.

@BDutch @Isadora T @vintage thank you for the kind, warm words. I hope I didn't come off as too melodramatic--my marriage is fine, but this has been a source of frequent bickering and thus a bit of a dark cloud in our household. however, I'm happy to report that we've both come to an understanding of one another's concerns and are working towards respecting/empathizing with one another's perspectives, which do stem from the same root problem. I'll post an update on the situation shortly, but just wanted to say thanks for your supportive words.

Oh wow sounds like the story of my life right now... except I am dealing with more birds... now feeling the strain and knowing things need to go in a better direction. It is not a sustainable situation. Considering sharing how they can rehome a lot of their birds. Honestly am not sure what to do next. My first approach was kind but now I see it will have to be more practical still kind as possible. Language and culture differences make this more difficult. I am not sure what their expectations are. I guess me and Google translate will have to take time and make another attempt to resolve this more functionally soon. Meanwhile we have a feral cat issue... 😑
I really feel for you--these sorts of things can be enough to drive one crazy. My anxiety over the course of this has been through the roof. I know they're "just chickens" as many say, and not mine to boot, but I can't help caring about them deeply. Feel free to start a post and elaborate more--I'm sure I and many others would be happy to listen/read and give you suggestions or at least support. This community has helped me stay sane through this.

Best of luck to you--I am in your corner!

@Snooky doodle @Bryce Thomas I do agree with you, and came to the decision that, once their house is listed I would have a friend call animal control anonymously should they ever have them locked up in the coop during the day. I feel confident between coming to find them in a ventless shed in the heat, and very likely witnessing a lack (or none) of food and water and bedding that is 99% piles of poop, they'd take 'em away. If they come otherwise, the chickens are out and about and I'm not sure whether it'd be enough to constitute an issue. I'll elaborate more in an update to follow.

Back
Top Bottom