Neighbor's Chickens Trying to Join My Flock

Pics
I'm having an issue with my neighbors flock storming my run and eating like they're starving whenever I let my girls out to supervise free range. It wasn't always like this: a few of the neighbor's hens who were always getting bullied would come down and snack/hang out (I also saved one from near-death from a turkey attack). But in the last few weeks, they suddenly started acting ravenous and would wipe out my flock's supplies in no time.

Well, last week we were tasked with watching their chickens while they were out of town. The first time we were to check on them was an evening; and we were horrified to see they had no feed left. But upon alerting the neighbors, they said they only give them two cups in the morning and that's it because they want them to free range for their food. The sad thing is, before we found out they were getting rationed, we filled their feeder up and they all ate it like they were starving. So, I think the reason some of the lower rung girls from their flock are desperately clamoring into mine for feed and clean water is because they probably aren't even getting any. And when I say desperate: they will dart in under my feet any chance they get, attack the feeder to the degree that it's swinging all over, and keep eating even if my girls start attacking them. This is new behavior. I hate kicking them out, but I have to sometimes.

I'm in a tough spot. I've bonded with these girls and I don't want them to be starving, but I also can't afford double the feed for them, nor is my run reliably open access. It's also impossible for me to keep them out all the time when I supervise free range because my girls like to come and go. Some of the neighbors hens even run in there and lay eggs now!

So, I want to tactfully tell the neighbors that I think they may need to up their girls' feed rations, but I'm worried about coming off judgy, and these neighbors pride themselves on raising a 'tough' flock (the girls' coop is a a large shed with no ventilation, and their water buckets have algae growing in them--they also used to pen them in with turkeys until one of their girls nearly got killed, but luckily ran down to my run where I found her). I feel bad and want to help them but realize it's not my place. What's the best way to handle this?

I should also note that we have a good relationship with said neighbors, just very different approaches to chicken-keeping. They are busy and hands-off, and we work from home, are always the ones to watch them when they are (frequently) away, and otherwise are always swarmed by their chickens and the ones to discover issues.
If you are on good terms, I would just tell them that you think their chickens need more food because they are coming down every day to eat all your chickens food. I would tell them that you are having to buy double the quantity of food then you previously had to. Maybe make a video of it on your phone and show your neighbors what they are doing.

You are such a kind and thoughtful person to try to take care of your neighbors birds 🙂
I think I would approach them with a - hey, just to let you know, your chickens have been spending a lot of time over here and we've been going through food twice as fast since there isn't much for them to eat while free ranging right now... and see how they respond.
Another thought I had along the lines of giving them kitchen scraps is do you have room to start a compost pile? We have a pile that is currently loaded with worms that my chickens LOVE to gobble up. This could be a way to help feed their birds and yours without spending extra money.

@SulkyBantam @Halfpasthen @3KillerBs @CJLR @BrooksHatlen @Bigtom Turkey @BDutch @Davethebirdman @Acre4Me @WindingRoad @Geckolady @Byrd gal @benevolent_leonela @NatJ @Nendei I think I've got everyone tagged here! Thank you each for your input and giving me the space to talk through this issue. If I haven't responded to everyone, I'm sorry, I was overwhelmed (in a good way) by all the thoughtful responses. I really, really, appreciate having a community like this to talk through things with.

Since I plan to talk with the neighbors in person, I want to reach out to those of you who have experience free ranging. I supervise free-range mine, but outside of that, they are coop/run girls who rely on free feeding.

From what I understand (I've read up on this before when thinking about free-ranging our girls), you can't depend on them to get all nutrients they need from the land unless it is specially cultivated to maintain livestock--and even then, most will still have some layer feed available. Many free feed just to make sure the chickens get what they need when there are shortages in what's available on the land, and many say that chickens will not overeat feed. Is that the case? And, if rationing, what is a good rule of thumb for 12 girls? Surely more than two cups once in the morning? I want to make sure I give them good information beyond the vague "give them more" in case they ask.

Yes. In my head this is a straightforward thing that shouldn't ruffle feathers (I'd want to know if my birds needed something I didn't realize). This will be our approach when we talk with them. Thank you.
If you are on good terms, I would just tell them that you think their chickens need more food because they are coming down every day to eat all your chickens food. I would tell them that you are having to buy double the quantity of food then you previously had to. Maybe make a video of it on your phone and show your neighbors what they are doing.

You are such a kind and thoughtful person to try to take care of your neighbors birds 🙂
I think I would approach them with a - hey, just to let you know, your chickens have been spending a lot of time over here and we've been going through food twice as fast since there isn't much for them to eat while free ranging right now... and see how they respond.
Another thought I had along the lines of giving them kitchen scraps is do you have room to start a compost pile? We have a pile that is currently loaded with worms that my chickens LOVE to gobble up. This could be a way to help feed their birds and yours without spending extra money.
We have been planning on it, but I was overwhelmed with info about getting started and keep putting it off. We do have room, I believe. What are your pointers for composting? How did you start?

Thanks for the kind words.

This explains why a few of them end up eating more food than all 8 of mine eat in a half a day--in just one sitting. Lately I'll let them go to town for ten minutes, come in, and see they've all but depleted what the rations for my entire flock's day. Needless to say my runs to TSC are becoming more frequent...
Also, when it comes to layer feed my chickens just eat what they need because they would prefer to free range. They usually wait by the gate for two hours before the time I let them out. They need to just put out enough food where it is never empty because chickens always prefer free range bugs and plants to layer feed. I don’t think mine would ever over eat layer feed.

Also, when it comes to layer feed my chickens just eat what they need because they would prefer to free range. They usually wait by the gate for two hours before the time I let them out. They need to just put out enough food where it is never empty because chickens always prefer free range bugs and plants to layer feed. I don’t think mine would ever over eat layer feed.
This is great to know and exactly the thing I was looking for. I had an inkling they'll eat only as much feed as they need and otherwise would prefer free ranging--but I wasn't 100% on that. The way they attacked the feeders made me feel they NEEDED it. And when I let mine free range they could care less about the feed/run, that's why they don't blink (most of the time) when the neighbor's hens storm it. Thank you!

Close up your run before the time you know they usually come running down and snap a picture of them all waiting to get into the run and your food. Tell your neighbor you think it’s kind of funny, but that they go into such a frenzy that they spill all your food everywhere and your food is gone within minutes. You might also mention that you are having to buy double the amount of food.

Last edited:
I dont know exactly how much they should be feeding them it depends on how much forage they have how long they are let out each day what time of year it is how many acres they have etc. But i do know that 2 cups for 12 hens is only around 2 tablespoons per hen

We have been planning on it, but I was overwhelmed with info about getting started and keep putting it off. We do have room, I believe. What are your pointers for composting? How did you start?

Thanks for the kind words.
We have two compost piles, honestly I wish we had three. One to fill with scraps/used bedding/etc, one that’s “cooking”, and one that’s ready to use. I’ve been gardening for years and composting about half that time, but last summer was the first time with chickens, and the additional litter from cleaning the coop really added to the volume what what I was composting. My chickens love scratching around in mine, so I do have to shovel it back in periodically.
I haven’t tried it yet, but I’ve heard of some people drilling holes in pvc pipe and laying it every 6-8” across the pile with the ends sticking out to improve oxygen availability. Then putting another set of pipes 6-8” up, etc. Turning a compost pile is hard work, so having a more passive system is appealing. I also plan to introduce worms to my piles this year. My kids love digging them up in the garden and feeding to the chickens, so I imagine the ladies would be thrilled to go hunting for them in their own. You will have flies, so having a trap or two nearby is a good idea if you don’t want them in your house.
One other great talking point mentioned by other people is that it’s winter/early spring and so unless you live somewhere semitropical, there’s nothing growing and no bugs for them to forage. I think that’s a great point to bring up, along with the fact that chickens prefer free ranging to eating later feed - so leaving it free choice isn’t going to discourage them from free ranging unless they’re meat birds. And if there’s only one feeder, no way are the lower pecking order hens getting an equal share.

Back
Top Bottom