Neighbor's chickens

britinpa

Songster
Jun 22, 2020
Central Pennsylvania
We have had chickens for around a year and half now, they have always been in a run (not free ranged). Our neighbor got chickens this summer (a rooster and around 8 pullets). Since he has had them they come spend a portion of the day on our property/land. My husband stopped by the neighbors about a month ago, to let him know they have been in our garage and pooped in there and on our front patio area - he said that he was sorting something out for them, but nothing as yet. We chase them away if we are home and they get into things we don't want them to be in. We have a covered area behind our shed that my husband keeps his ride on mower in, and I keep some dust bath things for my chickens in there too. We have often chased them out of there. This morning my husband found some eggs that had been laid in a box I had in there - there were 9 in total. I took them to the neighbor this morning, and said they might want to try and keep their chickens contained if they want any eggs. I have no idea what they are going to do, but we've decided any eggs we find in that spot we are going to keep. What would you do?

We have had chickens for around a year and half now, they have always been in a run (not free ranged). Our neighbor got chickens this summer (a rooster and around 8 pullets). Since he has had them they come spend a portion of the day on our property/land. My husband stopped by the neighbors about a month ago, to let him know they have been in our garage and pooped in there and on our front patio area - he said that he was sorting something out for them, but nothing as yet. We chase them away if we are home and they get into things we don't want them to be in. We have a covered area behind our shed that my husband keeps his ride on mower in, and I keep some dust bath things for my chickens in there too. We have often chased them out of there. This morning my husband found some eggs that had been laid in a box I had in there - there were 9 in total. I took them to the neighbor this morning, and said they might want to try and keep their chickens contained if they want any eggs. I have no idea what they are going to do, but we've decided any eggs we find in that spot we are going to keep. What would you do?
Honestly, I'd start keeping eggs that you find. Especially since you already told them and are giving them yet another chance to pen them up

Honestly, I'd start keeping eggs that you find. Especially since you already told them and are giving them yet another chance to pen them up
My husband was a bit miffed when he found the eggs - but once I said we'd keep the box in there and keep the eggs for ourselves, he seemed to come around. Our chickens are slowing down at the moment what with molting and the shorter days - we're getting 1 or 2 a day from our 8 hens at the moment. I'd previously mentioned about closing the covered area off so they can't go in there, but they'd probably just lay their eggs under the shed.

It sounds like you have made a good start in being very polite to the neighbors and I think it's fine to keep any eggs you find on your property. Have you directly asked them to please keep the chickens off your property? Maybe they aren't catching your drift.
We have been polite, as it's really not worth creating a hostile situation. My husband did let him know we're not happy with them coming around our house. He also warned him that they may start disappearing because of predators. They are the brightest white chickens, so not much camouflage. The people who live on the other side of him also have chickens, and they shot a raccoon in daylight last weekend that was snooping around their chickens. I think they're catching our drift, but are not intending to do anything about it - that's why we said we may as well keep the eggs.

I eat chicken but I don't eat any of mine. I do believe I could eat a neighbors chickens though.
It's an option since they're causing problems and the neighbors don't seem to care. Maybe chicken dinner on Sundays?
If you don't sooner or later a predator will.

I'm not certain where you are in central PA, but I'd go to your zoning and county code. The keywords you want to search for are "at large".

First, find out what you are legally able to do. That will help answer what you should do.

Which, I suspect, is different from what I would do. Different flocks, different needs, different zoning.

Back
Top Bottom