Neighbor's dog came back for our ducks today! What to do?

Ps to OP: yes you are right to blame the neighbor/ owner, not the dog. However, i disagree that your actions caused the situation to "spiral out of control." The dog was attacking your ducks on Your property, & you attempted to protect your ducks. Most dogs will NOT bite when cornered; they will do their best to flee, or simply cower. Whether fear-aggressive, people-aggressive, livestock-aggressive, etc etc, you DID encounter an aggressive dog. That BIT you. Your actions didnt cause it to be aggressive; it already was. Please keep the blame on the owner (& by extension the aggressive dog), & not in any way on yourself. Again, you did nothing wrong in attempting to protect your ducks. Dont get me wrong; im not confrontational by nature and am very grateful i have good (rural) neighbors. But your neighbor, like her dog, has ALSO essentially attacked you first. Thats why i adamantly say to stand your ground.

I would like to present a some thoughts and suggestions on this scenario:

1> Your neighbour has a responsibility to keep her dog on her own property and to not let it be a nuisance to her neighbours or your birds.
2> Your description of the events that happened next day tell me the dog acted in a fearful/scared manner. It knew it should not be on your property and when it could not easily escape it has acted defensively - including biting you. This does not mean that the dog is inherently dangerous.
3> The argument has resulted because your neighbour has then also acted in fear, that you will involve the police or perhaps take some action that might result in her dog being taken away.

I Suggest -
Open a line of communication with your neighbour again, ask them to come meet with you over a cup of tea (be sure to tell them that this meeting is a peacemaking mission and make it as non threating as possible).

Explain that it is in BOTH your interests to ensure that the dog doesn't do this again.

Explain that you believe the dog acted in a defensive manner and that you do not wish to take any action against the dog 'for that one example', but that you also had a need to protect your ducks and yourselves - hence your wife holding a space.

Show her your injuries - so that she has clear evidence to show that her dog bit you - and reiterate that your combined efforts to sort this situation is required to avoid a repeat scenario.

Offer suggestions to your neighbour if you have any - can they kennel their dog until the fix hole can be fixed? Decide who's responsibility is it to fix the fence hole and/or come to an agreement as to who/how the fence will be fixed.

In future - if the dog comes back to your property - your actions should include the following:

1> Address the immediate concern - remove the ducks to a safe location.
2> Photograph/Film/Document Details
3> DO NOT aggressively chase or approach the dog. Let it retreat to a corner or under a bench then either calmly call your neighbour to retrieve her dog or call a dog control officer to remove the dog.

Also, please, please see a doctor or go to an urgent care clinic today. Your bites may become infected. And you'll need a tetanus shot.
Yes! Even if they don’t look infected right now, the bite wounds can quickly change. You definitely need a tetanus shot. Ain’t nobody got time for this mess. We still have Covid to deal with. I am so sorry Hillbilly.

Sure did, but there was only a voicemail picking up my call... I am still waiting for them to return my call.
Find the number to your Central Dispatch and call it. You have essentially been attacked by a person’s pet.

I agree with @The Kooky Kiwi 100% that the dog isn’t a mean dog. However, it looks a lot like a Springer Spaniel and they are known for Springer “rage.” Look it up. Had that breed, been there and saw it myself. And that breed is a retriever, so it isn’t gonna let up on your birds...unless you make it.

Ps to OP: yes you are right to blame the neighbor/ owner, not the dog. However, i disagree that your actions caused the situation to "spiral out of control." The dog was attacking your ducks on Your property, & you attempted to protect your ducks. Most dogs will NOT bite when cornered; they will do their best to flee, or simply cower. Whether fear-aggressive, people-aggressive, livestock-aggressive, etc etc, you DID encounter an aggressive dog. That BIT you. Your actions didnt cause it to be aggressive; it already was. Please keep the blame on the owner (& by extension the aggressive dog), & not in any way on yourself. Again, you did nothing wrong in attempting to protect your ducks. Dont get me wrong; im not confrontational by nature and am very grateful i have good (rural) neighbors. But your neighbor, like her dog, has ALSO essentially attacked you first. Thats why i adamantly say to stand your ground.
This 100%! You did absolutely NOTHING wrong. If we're being honest here, you've shown nothing but kindness, patience and understanding in spite of this. Keep in mind that a lot of people act out defensively, oftentimes threatening and desperately trying to point the blame away from themselves, when they know they're in the wrong. You have nothing to worry about legally and if your neighbor is ignorant enough to continue, the law is on your side, especially since you have taken steps to notify the authorities and document everything. Please take care of your bites. It can turn lethal before you know it.

I agree that it'd be beneficial to be able to get along with your neighbors, but they should be the ones reaching out in hopes of repairing the relationship they destroyed. You went above and beyond and already tried to keep things amicable, but they crossed the line by threatening you. Plus it's obvious that you can't count on their word. They proved that today when the dog came back.

I just discovered that the dog actually got me!
First picture is the dog cornered under my workbench.

Attachments

• 20210107_133348.jpg
    20210107_133348.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210107_142121.jpg
    20210107_142121.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210107_142127.jpg
    20210107_142127.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 40
That's why i have started this thread and uploaded the pictures.
But i'd like to document this more officially. Can i just go to the sheriff's office and report it?
I don't want to press charges unless they do, but in case they do, i want to be prepared.
Yes,call and report, especially since there was a bite.

Back
Top Bottom