Neighbor's dog came back for our ducks today! What to do?

Update on Nona Duck, she is doing much much better!

I think she is almost out of the woods: Yesterday i grabbed and thoroughly examined her until she has had enough and bit me in the nose. - Softly, just to tell me to let her go.
I apologized with a handful of meal worms - real meal worms, no cat food and i guess she accepted my apology, because this morning she came right up to me and gulped down cat-food out of my hands. She is not limping anymore, just a little light treading on her left leg but it is barely noticeable.

As for Animal "services", i have not received any call back or notice about the neighbors dog. I have set up a trail camera pointing along the property line, should i catch Max on my land all hell will break loose, regardless of weather he takes one of the ducks or not.
I lit a small fire on the edge of my property yesterday to thaw the ground and started digging a post hole, but hit a huge boulder at 1 foot, so i need to choose another spot and light another fire and dig again. Or give up on the idea of cedar fence posts at all, but then i don't know what kind of fence posts i could actually use.
Polyline will arrive here tomorrow, so i will put the upcoming weekend to good use.

Call animal control and make complaint about the dog tell them to go ahead and call the cops if the dog is on your property you have the God given right to protect yourself and your animals with whatever you choose to protect yourself with
This "dog-country" here, people (dog-owners) tell me »phew its just a duck!« :(
To which i usually answer, that this »just a duck« was laying an egg a day, making one kid very happy who is allergic to chicken eggs and hasn't been able to eat an egg in years. And all the ducks agreed that this kid can have the eggs for free!
I will give them a call tomorrow, so they had three business days to respond and if i don't see any action i might notice the county or whoever is "bossmang" to Animal "Services".
I don't want to happen anything to that dog, just keep it off my property and tell me weather it has a rabies vaccination, so i can decide weather i need one or not.

To which i usually answer, that this »just a duck« was laying an egg a day, making one kid very happy who is allergic to chicken eggs and hasn't been able to eat an egg in years. And all the ducks agreed that this kid can have the eggs for free!
I will give them a call tomorrow, so they had three business days to respond and if i don't see any action i might notice the county or whoever is "bossmang" to Animal "Services".
I don't want to happen anything to that dog, just keep it off my property and tell me weather it has a rabies vaccination, so i can decide weather i need one or not.
Definitely find out about the rabies! Scary, scary stuff. Better find out immediately. If they don't want to tell you, you need to involve law enforcement. That's literally a matter of life or death.

So glad to hear Nona is doing better!

Weird unrelated question - and hopefully not offensive: My husband made spaetzle for dinner. He wondered if German folks really eat it, or if it's another of those American things where we say it's another culture's cuisine, but it's not.

Definitely find out about the rabies! Scary, scary stuff. Better find out immediately. If they don't want to tell you, you need to involve law enforcement. That's literally a matter of life or death.

So glad to hear Nona is doing better!

Weird unrelated question - and hopefully not offensive: My husband made spaetzle for dinner. He wondered if German folks really eat it, or if it's another of those American things where we say it's another culture's cuisine, but it's not.
Define "Germans"! - It is like with "Americans all eat BBQ". - Nope! BBQ is very popular in the southern Gulf coast states, here in WV BBQ is very uncommon and honestly just sucks!
As for the Spaetzle - correct spelling would Spätzle, but you don't have that letter here - yes people in the south do eat a lot of Spätzle, especially around Stuttgart. But in the North and East Spätzle are more or less unknown.

Define "Germans"! - It is like with "Americans all eat BBQ". - Nope! BBQ is very popular in the southern Gulf coast states, here in WV BBQ is very uncommon and honestly just sucks!
As for the Spaetzle - correct spelling would Spätzle, but you don't have that letter here - yes people in the south do eat a lot of Spätzle, especially around Stuttgart. But in the North and East Spätzle are more or less unknown.
Haha! Thanks! Hope I didn't offend. I did a little research about it, but I learned more from your reply. I figured it was something like that. I really appreciate it.

Not all Americans eat BBQ?! Really??? Haha!

I didn't read through the whole thread, but wanted to share my similar experience.

When I was a teen my family had ducks. My mom caught the neighbor's black lab after our ducks one time and scared him away. The second time he came back he was successful in killing a duck, and when my mom tried to scare him away, he started chasing her. My stepdad blasted the dog with a shotgun, killing it, and fixed the problem for good. We had asked the neighbors dozens of times to restrain the dog, and they never did.

I'm not saying that was the best outcome or the right thing to do by law, but my feelings were never hurt that the dog died. It is a shame too many dog owners don't care about taking care of their dogs.

Glad to hear your duck is better. I hope you find a reasonable solution, hopefully one that doesn't involve any more deaths or disputes.

If it bit you and Drew blood rabies shots are no joke its 6shots in the stomach I would call the cops just to have a formal complaint on record im a dog lover I have 2beagles if they harmed my neighbors animals I would be freaking out not threatening to call the cops for you defending your self

If it bit you and Drew blood rabies shots are no joke its 6shots in the stomach I would call the cops just to have a formal complaint on record im a dog lover I have 2beagles if they harmed my neighbors animals I would be freaking out not threatening to call the cops for you defending your self
They no longer do rabies shots in your stomach. Rabies shots are given at the site of the wound (in and around it). Then you go for 3 follow up shots. They are a very very small needle and it's done in a second.

Back
Top Bottom