Neighbors Dog Finally Did It! Update: They are both gone!

hugs.gif

How sad I'm so sorry.

Thanks Everyone! I am still sort of in Shock!

I had just gotten some black girls for Itty Bitty today, so now I am going to have to find another Splash Bantam Cochin for them.

The Splash Hen, I had just gotten from another BYC member.

The Blue Rooster I had purchased from EggBid about a month ago.

This is really just crappy.

you guys have it all wrong....
the tree killing the dog was a freak of nature,, a true accident.. nobody is at fault.. sure you feel bad for the death but unless you were out there sawing the tree down and pushing it onto the dog house.. it is NOT your FAULT.. dont act like it is..

BUT,,the owner of the dogs, letting them run loose killing things in the neiborhood IS THEIR FAULT.. and in most states illegal..
they need to keep control of their dogs!!!! or legally you can SHOOT and kill their other dogs (caught in the act of killing your chickens)
i have lost to many chickens due to irresponsible owner not controlling their dogs..
dont we have a hard enough time protecting our chickens from coyotes, bobcats, skunks, coons, hawks????

sorry for you loss,, but unless you want more heartache from those dogs.. you need to speak to the owners,, or call animal control, or get pictures of the dogs on your property.. or ??? something

I agree it was not your fault the tree fell on the doghouse. But it is their fault for not keeping their dog in their yard. I would at the very least let the owners know that their dog is a chicken killler so that they are aware that his roaming around is hurting someone. Some people think that if their dog is well behaved and liked that running around is fine as long as they are not hurting anything or causing a menace. Thats what i think they may be thinking since they had the other dog contained and not this one. You need to let them know thier dog is causing you a problem and give them the opportunity to correct it. By doing that you are being very neighborly and doing your part to diffuse a situation that could get worse. If they continue to let their dog roam freely then I would call Animal control or do whatever you have to to keep your livestock safe.
Sorry about your loses.

Oh no that is awful! SO sorry for your lose. I Lost four hens to the neighbours dog. Was VERY angry but at least mine were all dead when I found them that is much easier on me than seeing them suffer
sad.png
Poor things. Your great for trying to save them. I waited a day to talk to my neighbours so I could cool off...they were very nice about it and we have not seen the dog here since that day. We have a time agreement where I keep the hens in until 2pm in the summer and she can let her dog run in the morning. It's been working fine. Her dog is my dog's best friend so I can't take his best bud away so the plan we have is really working out well. They run and run together in the morning now. Hopefully your neighbour will be as understanding as mine was and understand that it is NOT ok for her dog to kill your chickens.

Losing the little fluffers we love is always hard and this was an extra tough and very sad thing to happen to you. In Pa here livestock attacks can be reimbursable by the State under the Dog Laws. We have had two dog attacks over the years, one where the State reimbursed for a dog kill in our Peacock pen and one where the neighbor reimbursed for their dog killing DD's bunnies. The dog owner needs to be accountable and responsible for the actions of their animal, compensate and take measures to see it doesnt happen again.
Dogs will be dogs but they should be able to control them.
Anyway, Im very sorry and I bet we as BYC members can pull together and help you replace the ones that died. Those of us not in icy tundra conditions anyway!!

Back
Top Bottom