Neighbors Dog is Digging Into My Yard!

I was making just this point to someone at work yesterday. Why should we worry about offending people who are perfectly content to offend, harass, and take advantage of us?
@3KillerBs -

I finally figured out that they will push the rules of what they think they can do to you as far as you will let them..I have finally realized I have to push back immediately. I was a chaplain at a big hospital and the Chaplaincy Supervisor told me " You do not EARN respect- you TAKE it."
I thought wow- that is mean, and harsh. It took me a while to realize- he was right!

I wonder--does it matter what gender of person does the marking? I'm asking about the reaction of the predators, not the reaction of neighboring people :)
No. I am female and years ago I had a neighbor whose annoying little dog thought it had to bark incessantly at me while I worked in my garden. The fence was on the property line. I spent a day drinking lots of water and collecting the resulting, er, liquid in a jar. Then I took it out and anointed the property line at intervals. Worked like magic. If you don't want your menfolk outside urinating in public, they could do the same. As others have mentioned, this must be repeated periodically. I don't know that it would solve OP's problem particularly, but it's worth a try.

I'll mention, if I haven't already, that at least here, intentionally injuring this dog, rather than shooting to kill, is considered animal abuse. The pellet gun idea is not a good choice!
Given that the neighbors are negligent dog owners, and you need to protect your birds, probably your best choices are that electric fence to keep out predators, and a very secure coop and run for times when you aren't present.
If there's any question that the dog isn't being cared for, and up to date on rabies vaccinations and licencing, Animal Control can check on that. If this poor dog is barking all the time, or doesn't have water and shelter, that's another AC call, and those calls can be anonymous.
Good luck,
Mary
Just to clarify about the pellet gun use. The pellet gun use in this situation was not to abuse the animal. I should have expounded on that topic a bit more for those who were not following my thought process. The use of the pellet gun was to get the owners attention and if it took a minor injury to the dog in order to get it then so be it. It was better to be digging a pellet out of this dog than having a dead chicken. The whole point of this conversation after all is that we don’t want dead chickens, we want to get the owners to wake up and pay attention, and we want the dog stopped, and we would rather have it be sooner the. Later. Capeesh?

I was once washing a truck where I worked. Playfully, I sprayed water at the works dog. He was a sweetie. The dog turned and ran from me like a freight train. Later I was thinking Why?

Then I saw it. The burglar who breaking in often was probably spraying the dog in its face with soapy water. It's stings like hell, but you all know that.

So, try that as a last resort. That will probably work.

I was once washing a truck where I worked. Playfully, I sprayed water at the works dog. He was a sweetie. The dog turned and ran from me like a freight train. Later I was thinking Why?

Then I saw it. The burglar who breaking in often was probably spraying the dog in its face with soapy water. It's stings like hell, but you all know that.

So, try that as a last resort. That will probably work.
Exactly as a last resort. To which she has practically come to a last resort situation many times as she has described and done all she can to look the other way and try to turn things around but the dogs owners are continuing to do nothing and still putting her birds lives in jeopardy.

Exactly as a last resort. To which she has practically come to a last resort situation many times as she has described and done all she can to look the other way and try to turn things around but the dogs owners are continuing to do nothing and still putting her birds lives in jeopardy.
Please remember all that I am a dog and animal lover myself. Have owned dogs for forty plus years. I have owned a Husky even. I won’t again because I live in the Deep South. I don’t like recommending this but a few pellets to a Huskies backside is minor if it keeps him alive and out of the pound or a kill shelter situation.

Back
Top Bottom