Neighbor's dog killed my chickens. City ordinance issue??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't matter if it has wolf or not it a dog your chickens are livestock also known a part of the food chain so if you do something to the dog you will be in trouble just saying and by the sound of these neighbors just might do something back to you so keep that in mind.

I disagree. In the areas where I have lived, chickens are considered livestock and the property owner can protect his livestock with deadly force against roaming dogs on his property attacking said livestock. If you hurt the animal (shoot them with a BB and simply injure them) you are in trouble for animal cruelty; but if you shoot to kill, you are well within your rights as the property owner.

I disagree. In the areas where I have lived, chickens are considered livestock and the property owner can protect his livestock with deadly force against roaming dogs on his property attacking said livestock. If you hurt the animal (shoot them with a BB and simply injure them) you are in trouble for animal cruelty; but if you shoot to kill, you are well within your rights as the property owner.
Huh. I should find out if I can still do that in CO!

Doesn't matter if it has wolf or not it a dog your chickens are livestock also known a part of the food chain so if you do something to the dog you will be in trouble just saying and by the sound of these neighbors just might do something back to you so keep that in mind.

I disagree. In the areas where I have lived, chickens are considered livestock and the property owner can protect his livestock with deadly force against roaming dogs on his property attacking said livestock. If you hurt the animal (shoot them with a BB and simply injure them) you are in trouble for animal cruelty; but if you shoot to kill, you are well within your rights as the property owner.
in some states, you may only shoot dogs that are in the act of attacking your livestock, and in many states livestock only include hooved mammals. In Arizona, chickens are poultry, not livestock. It is the same in many states.

in some states, you may only shoot dogs that are in the act of attacking your livestock, and in many states livestock only include hooved mammals. In Arizona, chickens are poultry, not livestock. It is the same in many states.

I can't speak to "many" states. I can only speak to the four I've lived in so far. Each person needs to check with the regulations in force in their local area to find out what their rights as a property owner are. In every state in which I checked, none allow dogs to roam freely and task the owner to keep their dogs securely contained on their own property.

I can't speak to "many" states. I can only speak to the four I've lived in so far. Each person needs to check with the regulations in force in their local area to find out what their rights as a property owner are. In every state in which I checked, none allow dogs to roam freely and task the owner to keep their dogs securely contained on their own property.
yes, knowing your local, county and state regulations is important, and most places have leash laws

AC came to my house today and told me I couldn't have chickens. Apparently, my dog-loving neighbor decided to complain about my chicken-keeping to animal control. I'm sure she's just being vindictive, as I've had chickens for nearly 5 years and it's never bothered her before. So, now my chicken-raising days are over (as long as we're neighbors, anyway).
hit.gif
I'm so bummed. We do hope to move sometime next year, so there's a ray of hope at least.

Aren't wolf-hounds illegal period? if so then your neighbor is in deeper doo-doo than you re: un-authorized animals. A chicken isn't likely to go mauling someone's child.

Aren't wolf-hounds illegal period? if so then your neighbor is in deeper doo-doo than you re: un-authorized animals. A chicken isn't likely to go mauling someone's child.

the neighbor claims the dog is a husky... and AC believes her. *sigh* So, maybe it is. I dunno. I just wish I didn't have such a crappy neighbor.

AC came to my house today and told me I couldn't have chickens. Apparently, my dog-loving neighbor decided to complain about my chicken-keeping to animal control. I'm sure she's just being vindictive, as I've had chickens for nearly 5 years and it's never bothered her before. So, now my chicken-raising days are over (as long as we're neighbors, anyway).
hit.gif
I'm so bummed. We do hope to move sometime next year, so there's a ray of hope at least.
She sounds like me and my siblings. "If I can't have it then you can't have it either!"
he.gif
I hope you move far far away from her to a place where chickens cross the road all the time and no one thinks it's weird
lol.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom