Neighbor's dog killing my chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we have left them alone with other people's chickens and ducks ,they never touched one. I know my dogs.

Biggest mistake a dog owner can make is your quote of I know my dogs. Dogs are animals - period. They do not think like humans. I worked with dogs for many years, training dogs for everything from a family pet to a professional police K9. I bred, trained and rescued dogs of all kinds. I owned a Belgian Malinois, not a common breed as a pet but still take can make wonderful ones with proper training and supervision. Q was a great dog I trusted him with my life and more than once did he prove his worth as a protection/companion dog. Until that one day, he killed a baby goat and then turned on me - the human who had raised and trained him from a pup. He had ME on the ground and I was screaming out commands at the top of my lungs until something clicked. He simply turned and walked away leaving me on the ground. Next came the hardest decision I ever had to make, he was humanely euthanized. This was my baby, he slept with me, let me know when my blood sugar was out of whack and protected me from harm. Dogs are dogs are dogs, they are an animal and in the scheme of things have only been domesticated a short period of time. How many times have you seen stories of dog attacks where the owner says "he never did anything like that before". I lived it, I know it happens.

That is your opinion, in my opinion you didn't know you dogs body language. I read my dogs, I can tell when he's hungry, mad, upset, tired, sick. I do know my dog,

That is your opinion, in my opinion you didn't know you dogs body language. I read my dogs, I can tell when he's hungry, mad, upset, tired, sick. I do know my dog,

I know in another post you stated you were a minor, so we must give you the benefit of the doubt as you probably haven't learned this life lesson the hard way yet.

You might think you know your animals, but by letting them loose you are doing the same thing as other negligent dog owners. You might think your neighbors 'know' your dogs are just playing, but even play can kill or maim.

It also only takes once for our neighbor to perceive your animal as a threat, and then it will be gone.

I have had hard "life" lessons, believe me. I go to school with my neibor, and they tell me everything my dogs do, so, and they look forward to seeing my dogs.

... here's one thing to keep in mind, you may know your dog.... but, not all other people know your dog and not all other animals belonging to other people know your dog.... a dog only need to come close to a fence to create panic in herd animals such as sheep, goats, cattle, etc... and if they have young ones, these are at risk of getting crushed.... if your dog happens to be in that situation, it'll be shot.

My neibor has collies, and cattle. The cartels used to it. My nebiors watch my dogs. So, with that said, we are dropping my case, because I know what laws, and rights my nebiors have. So.

Update: neighbors dog killed another of my cuckoo maran chicks today, but this time he didn't make it back home. Thus ends the dog problem.
Unfortunately the problem is only solved until the neighbor gets another dog, or a stray dog comes by and finds your birds. This is the reason I had to quit free ranging years ago, I was getting wiped out by roaming dogs and coyotes. Since my birds now "free range" in a fenced pasture I have not had a single loss to a predator in years. Getting rid of one dog or coyote or whatever gets your birds doesn't replace lost birds and doesn't prevent the next attack.

My neibor has collies, and cattle. The cartels used to it. My nebiors watch my dogs. So, with that said, we are dropping my case, because I know what laws, and rights my nebiors have. So.
law...? is it legal to shoot stock worrying dogs in your area? Most places are....

but hey, as you said.. it is your dog, your right to take chances with it's life as well.... I know for sure if your dog happens to be in my yard it'll be shot.

Last edited:
To SternRose: If you choose to be a dog owner who does not contain your dog on your property, and you acknowledge that your dog trespasses on other people's property, then you and your dog are no more responsible than your neighbor and his dog.

Your dog "playing" with someone else's livestock can kill them. Are you willing to pay for an expensive show horse, a beef steer, a dairy cow, some little child's pet goat kid or lamb? Or if you are in fact under age, do you think your parents want to be held responsible for your irresponsibility (and theirs?)

Confine your dog, or someone who cares for their livestock will eventually solve the issue. What you call playing is harassment, and can cause the death of a mother giving birth, a newborn, or anything that was not built as tough as your unrestrained dog.

Grow up and show some responsibility.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom