Neighbors Dog Massacred My flock

Pics
I'm believe your birds got killed.
I'm having trouble with how.
Ditto Dat....plus seeing the video or damage the dog did would help answer your question about how much it would cost to fix the coop/run damage.
I can see a dog squeezing thru the loose HC, but I don't think it could get back out.

@MandaRae I can assure you that we are all very sorry about your chickens getting killed, most everyone here has had something similar happen at one point or another and knows how devastating it can be.

The questions are not because people don't believe you, it's because we have a lot of "coop sleuths" around here that are very practiced in picking out little details to help people solve a variety of coop problems, from predators to ventilation.

People have latched onto the hardware cloth thing because it looks very unlike a typical coop break-in. Dogs normally either go over, squeeze under, use their teeth to rip a hole, or bend/break the wire to get in. I don't think it's morbid, but just plain curiosity, that makes people wonder how this might have happened and to want to see your video.

Okay SO I talked to my husband more about it.
Let me start with i didn't take pictures or do the clean up as i was sobbing. My husband and the cop took the pictures, So you were right to question the pics. I talked to my husband and he informed me that pic I posted was from the coop the dog damaged but didn't actually get into but clearly tried to.
There is a part with a gap between the door of the run & the coop that had wire connecting to close the gap,, that's where the dog broke through. He said You can see it in the video where she gets in. He had the video I won't watch it but he said he will try to post it later when he gets home from work.

Then I found out Turns out the other main coop that has the auto door didn't have the safety door to the run down (which has occasionally happened in the past) but that was the main reason for the most loss & massacre as they were all out of the coop and had access to the big run area.
The dog escaped the Run by making a new hole in the chicken wire run on the main side because she couldn't figure out how to get back out the way she came in.. She damaged another panel of Hardware while chasing/killing the chickens around and also other long side of chicken wire was also damaged while trying to get out but only successfully caused a gap where she escaped.
The run frame is 2in PVC which surprisingly only had a top bar broken.
I would make a new video but he already took the whole run down so we can cement wood into the ground this time. (Which we know not to ask for the money for an upgrade just replace the cost of what we already had, we will be paying the difference)
I'll put some pictures from when we first put everything up 3yrs ago. I will edit where the holes were on these pictures or see if my husband had the others since I didn't want those with the dead chickens in them.

This was all very traumatic for me and the kids. I prepared myself for losses and have had a loss of an adult chicken, 2 seperate times throughout the years. But this was insane and I definitely wasn't expecting to go out to the coops to see the carnage.

I have no idea how to load the videos and I don't really want to witness the attack but I'll send some of the screen Grabs i currently have.

1st pic is of the dog,
2nd is on of the coops before the run was put,
3rd the green arrow and red line is the area the gap is in I don't have another angle that shows the gap,
4th the yellow X is where she pulled it up from the bottom red line is the gap area.

If it wasn't for the video we wouldn't have a clue how she fit through that area.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220606-022532_Wyze.jpg
    Screenshot_20220606-022532_Wyze.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220606_024003.jpg
    20220606_024003.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220606_024431.jpg
    20220606_024431.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220606_024316.jpg
    20220606_024316.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 7
I hope that was enough info but I'm turning off notifications now because I ended up not getting any sleep last night and I realize I just need to let this go because it is stressing me out.
If my husband decides to explain more he can.
Thank you. That helps us a lot. Sorry your having to deal with this.

Back
Top Bottom