Neighbors Dog Massacred My flock

I personally could not watch it myself. Glad your husband was able to handle everything.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Huge hugs. :hugs

Get that chicken wire replaced with HC before moving forward with more chickens.
We have a plan for a wood frame run with HW and I want some electrical fencing. That might take some time cost wise but it's the next on our list. I was getting a total of 18-20 eggs a day and selling a majority of them. They helped offset the cost of a lot of things especially feed costs.
Now I'm getting 5-6 eggs a day and we are a 4 person household. We eat/cook with eggs everyday.

Is there a way to break that? The bird aggression?
When I was a child, we had a large dog, half Great Dane, half Saint Bernard--which looked more like the Dane, and acted more like the Bernard. It was still a youngster when it got into our chickens one day. My dad, wanting to teach the dog a lesson, took one of the dead chickens and tied it around the dog's neck, then fired his rifle three times into the air beside the dog. He let the dead chicken hang about the dog's neck for several days. I don't know if he did anything beyond this, as that's all I remember. But after that, our dog protected our chickens! It never killed one again, and it even protected us children from the mean gander, by pushing the gander's breast, causing him to lose his balance so he couldn't chase us--but not hurting the gander in the least. If skunks came around the chicken coop at night, the dog would send them packing (though the evidence of the encounter lingered for days!). We never had a better guardian for our flock.

I don't know if this method would work for every dog, or every kind of dog. But it did work on ours.

I lost 14 adult Chickens today.
I'm so devastated I don't even know where to begin.
We have a security camera and at 5:30 this morning a Neighbor's Dog, a Hunting Pointer, Rammed the fenced Run over and over until he got a small opening (still no clue how it fit through) and got into the run and Killed 13 hens and my 1yr old Cuckoo Maran Rooster.

We made a police report. When he saw the cops at our house he came over and admitted it plus we showed the video. He said let him know how much and he will pay.

But where do I even begin!? This was so shocking and traumatic.
Do I charge for the repair to the fence also?
How much per chicken? I also had Marans.
Ages from 1yr old to 3yrs old
😭😭😭
I guess I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. 😔
I'm so sorry this happened to you! It's one of my biggest fears for my flock.

As for the replacement cost, I wish the law recognized a beloved animal's true value: priceless. Unfortunately, it just doesn't. From a practical standpoint, if you were to purchase a laying hen from a reputable breeder, you'd expect to pay close to $50 for a high-volume layer or rare breed. If you use that as your baseline, you could say the property loss amounts to around $700, not including the damage to the fence. Let's round up to a grand.

Dogs get out, and I get it. I had a border collie who would climb ladders, so climbing a fence was a cakewalk for her. However, the neighbor needs to understand the consequences of your loss, and often, the only way to get people to be more cautious and aware is by affecting their pocketbooks.

What about supplies to replace the damaged fencing?
Have you heard any more from the dog owner?
Last they said was they would get the money together. My husband has been handling the conversations.
The cop did say if they don't pay to let him know.

I lost the thread and just read though 13 pages. @MandaRae I hope you're feeling a little better, it's horrible what you have to go through. I've lost some of my chickens too, and I find that remembering the good life they all had, rather than the ending, really does help.
We are slowly adding back. I am glad I still had a few of their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom