Neighbors Dog Massacred My flock

Another way to estimate the cost of the chickens:
Find a hatchery or breeder that will sell point-of-lay pullets or mature hens, and charge that much money. Remember to include the cost of shipping. Then use the money to buy the chickens from that source
Insurance style might be better. Average from three sources of what was had. May not want to wait for availability and will get something else. They are paying for what was had, not the replacement exactly.

Insurance style might be better. Average from three sources of what was had. May not want to wait for availability and will get something else. They are paying for what was had, not the replacement exactly.
The reason I said, if pricing from a particular source, to buy the chickens from there: I think it would not be fair to quote a high price and then actually buy chickens from a cheaper source.

Whether the neighbor is paying the value of the old chickens, or the exact cost of new ones, depends on what the neighbor actually said or offered (the exact words, which we don't know.)

Finding the exact product for sale (adult chickens, same breed) definitely IS one of the simplest ways to establish the value of something.

The reason I said, if pricing from a particular source, to buy the chickens from there: I think it would not be fair to quote a high price and then actually buy chickens from a cheaper source.

Whether the neighbor is paying the value of the old chickens, or the exact cost of new ones, depends on what the neighbor actually said or offered (the exact words, which we don't know.)

Finding the exact product for sale (adult chickens, same breed) definitely IS one of the simplest ways to establish the value of something.
I get it for setting a price. But what they do with it after is different.

Also, the craigslist price is irrelevant, rather use hatchery prices from adult or point of lay pullets, vaccinated, and including shipping. Getting 'random source' birds from craiglist is a good way to bring diseases home, not so safe.
Electric fencing advice from @Howard E , @cmom , and Premier1supplies.com, all good. And Premier has very good products too. Get a nice hot charger, don't under power your fence. And a voltage meter is essential.
Mary

Im so so sorry thats awful. Charge what you think is fair per bird AND for the fence AND for extra expenses to make sure his dog cant get in again -meaning to beef up your defences he should pay that too and for any collateral damage doggo did. That oughtta learn him to keep his dog secured. Make it expensive but not insane.
I lost 14 adult Chickens today.
I'm so devastated I don't even know where to begin.
We have a security camera and at 5:30 this morning a Neighbor's Dog, a Hunting Pointer, Rammed the fenced Run over and over until he got a small opening (still no clue how it fit through) and got into the run and Killed 13 hens and my 1yr old Cuckoo Maran Rooster.

We made a police report. When he saw the cops at our house he came over and admitted it plus we showed the video. He said let him know how much and he will pay.

But where do I even begin!? This was so shocking and traumatic.
Do I charge for the repair to the fence also?
How much per chicken? I also had Marans.
Ages from 1yr old to 3yrs old
😭😭😭
I guess I'm looking for advice on how to proceed.

This was a Hunting dog i 100% blame the owner on this one. Especially since we found out this happened to another neighbor last year same dog.
Second offense??? Yeah....make him buy you ft. Knox quality upgrade fencing. Dog sounds like a nuisance. Something electric should do...

Second offense??? Yeah....make him buy you ft. Knox quality upgrade fencing. Dog sounds like a nuisance. Something electric should do...
I wish. I wish I could make them repair everything. Maybe then they would get the labor and hardwork that goes into it.

That is not how it works.
I understand that. We plan to charge the average cost per adult bird ($25-30) plus the cost of the fencing we need to buy to fix the damage. If the Dog comes on the property again I will be reporting them. The cop seems to want us to press charges because our county has a law that the dogs much be on leashes of they are off property.

Back
Top Bottom