Neighbor's dogs killed 2 of my daughter's chickens (changed the title)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that I don't want to ever HAVE to shoot a dog, I've been lucky, never had to.... but those are the steps I will take if needed. I kinda figured you were stressed when you posted, and I can understand that. If the dogs aren't mean, take em to the pound and make him pay a fine. Take pics... do whatever it takes before you have to shoot, but shoot if you have to.
smile.png
I take it you don't raise chickens for food?

Well I would get real comfortable with the thought of taking them out. Dogs that run loose often start behaving with pack mentality. Since your neighbor denies it was his dog, I bet he does the same if the dog attacks one of your kids. I would make sure I was packing and watching my kids any time they are outside for now on. Unfortunately these dogs enter what is called a red zone...when they attack they don't think of anything else. Your daughter was pretty brave but put herself in serious danger confronting the dogs. I hope you talk with her about avoiding having the dogs turn on her the next time it happens. It would be wise to put a plan in place with all the kids if the dogs approach again. Since your neighbor hasn't owed up or given you a statement about controlling his dogs, you can bet it will happen again, they will be back, they had fun and I would be prepared. I would just take them out the minute they came on the property and not say a word to the neighbor. Call the cops say they were attacking your animals and leave it at that.
old.gif

Poor owners make good dogs go bad.

I changed the title. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was very stressed when I first wrote. Around here, we call dogs by their breeds ; the poodle down the street, the mutt, the pit bulls, the schnauzers, etc... it wasn't meant as a way to demean a breed.

Now, I wonder, if it happens again (even the dogs making it to my property) Can I grab a camera, a gun and the phone all at he same time. My daughter didn't think of her own well being, scaring away dogs from her chickens. I didn't think of my own well being scaring dogs away from my daughter. We just reacted. Luckily, they didn't turn on us. Hopefully if it happens again, I will have a clearer head and will react with more thought.

Quote:
Actually you should do a little research and you might be suprised. The drug dealers often use the "little yappers" as watch dogs since they bark at anything and everything and don't pose a threat and nobody takes any notice. Chain a vicious evil pit bull to your front door and animal control and the sheriff will be there before the sun goes down, all they do is gain attention. That is criminal 101..... which every pit bull owner knows.
smile.png

Please
Steve

Quote:
yes, yes, I realize that. I just know myself...I get a little frazzled and do not think clearly sometimes when there is an emergency, case in point...I run outside and have nothing to defend my daughter or myself with. Not a smart thing to do.

I was also trying to put a little humor on a very stressful situation.

Quote:
Grab the gun and take care of business. If you fear for your life and your family that's easy. I don't know about anybody else but when I hear something out of place on my land I know what I come out the door with.

Steve

Quote:
yes, yes, I realize that. I just know myself...I get a little frazzled and do not think clearly sometimes when there is an emergency, case in point...I run outside and have nothing to defend my daughter or myself with. Not a smart thing to do.

I was also trying to put a little humor on a very stressful situation.

Place the gun by the door... hanging out of children's reach, and always have your cell phone on you that has a camera in it... you'll ALWAYS be prepared...
smile.png

Quote:
Yes, he is back. i posted when he got back. (I think it is on the second page of this thread)

Neighbor was wasted drunk, denied it was his dogs, but did admit to letting them out. My Dh told him if we see them here again, he would hear gunshots. He begged Dh not to do that. He asked if we would call him if we see them again. So, in his drunken state, he was admitting they were his. Just so irritating to have people like that around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom