Neighbor's dogs

Call your local county animal control office. That is what your tax dollars are paying them for. It is not inhumane to collect the animals and hope the owners claim them. Maybe they even have chips. Who is feeding them, giving them shelter and fresh water? Ignoring the problem won't help you or the animals. Unfortunately, in these tough times, many animals have been abandoned and left to their own devices. You may just be doing a world of good for these little chaps.
I am fairly certain they are being "cared" for. They seem to roam at predictable times, not just all day.

"I am fairly certain they are being "cared" for. They seem to roam at predictable times, not just all day. "
That really sounds like they live near you. Have you met and checked with your local neighbors in a 360 deg. area around your place? I prefer to try to find the owners before I trap or shoot, sometimes they don't know. You will have to move fast on this as it sounds like they are getting braver. Pics or video of the dogs at your place will go a long way toward convincing an owner. One dog is a dangerous nuisance, two dogs or more is an emboldened pack.

"I am fairly certain they are being "cared" for. They seem to roam at predictable times, not just all day. "
That really sounds like they live near you. Have you met and checked with your local neighbors in a 360 deg. area around your place? I prefer to try to find the owners before I trap or shoot, sometimes they don't know. You will have to move fast on this as it sounds like they are getting braver. Pics or video of the dogs at your place will go a long way toward convincing an owner. One dog is a dangerous nuisance, two dogs or more is an emboldened pack.
I'm sure they live near me, I just have no clue where. I live 3 doors down from another road, so I would have difficulty figuring out where they're from..

@MamaBelle5 What became of these little stray dogs, any news for us?
Yes! I hadn't seen them the past couple days, but yesterday while our mail carrier was delivering packages, they were running around her.

I went out to shoo them away as she always expressed hesitation at delivering packages if our golden retriever was outside (even though she was the kindest, gentlest soul), so I thought she feared dogs. No, just big dogs.

She coaxed one of them and was having difficulty reading their tag (they were tagged after all!) and asked my help. So I did.

It didn't have an address, just a micro chip number to call and corresponding number on the tag. She called it and confirm where they belonged. She loaded them in her car and said she was taking them home and knew the owners pretty well and would give them a talking to because she was worried they'd get hit by a car. She also said she would tell them that the dogs are a nuisance and harassing our chickens.

I doubt anything will change, and personally, I don't think it's best to approach unknown dogs (a small dog will bite as easily as a big one), but at least the owners know now.

If they return to my coop, I'll be taking pictures and emailing animal control. Thank you for asking.

Having read this thread, I hope something does change now, because a friend has a tiny little dog and it killed their pet chickens anyway..... good luck!

Back
Top Bottom