Neighbors let their aggressive dog free in our yard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
im worried about when all my chickens go outside into the coop. But I don't want to make enemies with our new neighbors. They are young and I think lack serious etiquette when it comes to keeping pets. The other day I was out in the coop feeding the two chickens, and the dog comes within 5 feet of me, bears its teeth and growls. She calls him and he doesn't listen. The chickens were pretty freaked out and so was I. This has happen numerous times already this spring and I'm sick of it and I'm afraid I might snap and make enemies. The thing that makes me most angry is she sees that he barks and growls in my face and never once does she apologize. What should I do? I thought maybe do a letter?
I would call the dog warden. It's crap when people can't keep their dogs in their yard. Mine have a wireless fence so I don't worry about mine. My neighbors don't have dogs but they often times have company over that bring their dogs and on more than one instance we have had issues with this. I confronted them and we haven't had a problem since.

O
im worried about when all my chickens go outside into the coop. But I don't want to make enemies with our new neighbors. They are young and I think lack serious etiquette when it comes to keeping pets. The other day I was out in the coop feeding the two chickens, and the dog comes within 5 feet of me, bears its teeth and growls. She calls him and he doesn't listen. The chickens were pretty freaked out and so was I. This has happen numerous times already this spring and I'm sick of it and I'm afraid I might snap and make enemies. The thing that makes me most angry is she sees that he barks and growls in my face and never once does she apologize. What should I do? I thought maybe do a letter?

Oh and another thing. My neighbors have a dirtbike track and are constantly having people come over and all I hear is brap-brap loud dirtbikes all day. So I now have two roosters and got a tom turkey that gobbles loudly all day and I don't feel an ounce bad about it LOL.

Why should she have to spend money on a fence or a dog to do what her stupid neighbors should be doing?

If you want to keep your birds alive, it is not unreasonable to assume your neighbors lack respect and responsibility. You can huff and puff after the fact, but that means dead birds. Or as I sometimes tell folks, you can put all your wishes and dreams in one hand and all your chicken droppings in the other and see which one stacks up the fastest. So to get ahead of the curve, you get proactive. No....we shouldn't have to but we shouldn't have to put locks on our doors either, but we do.

BTW, the reason for electric fences goes well beyond dogs.....a real threat, but there are others. It repels all manner of boarders......including foxes, coyotes, coons, possums, etc.

New neighbors? I'm with the "call the authorities" school of thought, but having been in a similar situation with touchy neighbors, I know that's not always the best move. And even if you end up having to call in those big guns eventually, it's almost NEVER the best FIRST move.
I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but the old "more flies with honey" trick may work. Have you tried making friends with the dog, yet? Once the dog is approachable, it'll be easier to say something to the neighbors about keeping him home - for his own safety as well as yours.

I did try being friendly with the dog, but it didn't appreciate my social gestures at all. I do like dogs, don't get me wrong...just not this one. Animals can be a lot like people....there are nice ones and there are mean ones. I'm a pretty good judge of character with animals (and people).

If you want to keep your birds alive, it is not unreasonable to assume your neighbors lack respect and responsibility. You can huff and puff after the fact, but that means dead birds. Or as I sometimes tell folks, you can put all your wishes and dreams in one hand and all your chicken droppings in the other and see which one stacks up the fastest. So to get ahead of the curve, you get proactive. No....we shouldn't have to but we shouldn't have to put locks on our doors either, but we do.

BTW, the reason for electric fences goes well beyond dogs.....a real threat, but there are others. It repels all manner of boarders......including foxes, coyotes, coons, possums, etc.
I sold & installed electric fence for a living; I know it's uses, pros, & cons. I don't lock my doors unless I'm going to be away for an extended time, either. I couldn't even tell you where the house keys are. We each have our own way.

All good advice here. Every case is different. Some people, especially those with dogs that roam, enjoy conflict. It is very important to know the applicable laws. Almost everywhere has leash laws. (it is supposed to apply to all pets but for some strange reason cats seem to get a free pass)
I have spoken to neighbors about their dogs running loose. Whether I know the owner or not, animal control is always called to pick up the animal, whether a dog or cat. That way, the owner has to pay a fine(which usually solves the problem) and there is a record of the event. Sometimes animal control will call and say they found the owner and the owner will be coming to my house to pick up the dog. I say, "no they aren't. no one gets a free pass". Everyone, including animal control, knows I have a loaded shotgun at the ready. Second time, their pet won't be coming home. It is the law in MO and plenty of other states that you can kill a 'dog worrying livestock'.
Their animals are on my property, my chickens aren't on their property. I don't think I should have to pay for fencing that I don't need.
It is also the law here that you can be reimbursed by the county for losses due to dog attacks if the owner can't be found. It has to be witnessed by an unrelated adult. It is paid from a fund sourced from pet licenses.
By the way, when speaking with authorities on this topic, call the chickens livestock and not pets. That may not work if you only have 3 chickens.

When speaking with dog owners, always remain calm no matter how irritated you may be.

lll

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom