Neighbour making be get rid of my rooster ): help on how to deal with letting him go

nataliab

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
I'm sure this has happened to a lot of you, but I'm just so upset.
My neighbours are old and have complained and asked me to do something about my rooster. I have a New Hampshire and his name is francis. He's the most docile, beautiful creature and the first chicken I've owned (I thought he was a she) and I've had him since he was 8 weeks so he knows me and loves me too, coming for cuddles and knows his name....

Im just finding it really hard to let go, i have a breeder to take care of him but no one i talk to or know cares about chickens, or seems to, as much as I do so i just feel like I have no one who can relate to how i feel. I know its just a chicken to some people but I feel awful. I've been putting him in a cage at night to stop him crowing as much and I just start crying because its so cruel.

Can anyone help me "deal" with this or have ways of their own to help make this easier?

I have to get rid of my boy too. I always think of what a wonderful life he is going to get with his own girls, not being alone, and being able to do what roosters do. Or if he was to get aggressive, then I wouldn't have to deal with him. I don't think putting him in a cage at night is cruel, chickens are usually just sleeping anyways. Sorry for the whole neighbor thing.

I'm so sorry you're having to give up your boy. I know I'd be heartbroken if my boys had to go, I have two and they can be real loud mouths at times. There have been days I wonder when "that knock on the door" will come. I can legally have them, but gosh they do getting going sometimes.

I had a horrible time giving up roosters. Yes, finding homes was tough, very tough, as in just lining up new homes, but the toll on my emotions was far worse.

I had raised those boys up from chicks and they'd been in my flock nearly two years. They were so full of personality!

Can you come to a compromise?

I know some people with roosters who bring them in at night, into the basement or garage, and somehow block out all the light to keep them quiet. Then release them back with the flock after an agreed time, like 8am. That way, people can sleep in and you get to keep your roo.

Because if you are legally within your right to have a rooster, you shouldn't be forced to get rid of it.

I have 2 cockerels, both are about 15 weeks old. Both were surprises. I thought I was getting all hens in my flock. From the beginning I kept it in my head that the day may come when I had to cull or get rid of a rooster or two. Now that the boys are growing, the little bantam is VERY loud. He gets going at least once an hour, and he sounds like a pterodactyl. He's very handsome, but also a bit aggressive. I almost culled him yesterday, but am currently giving him a little more time... I keep the chickens in the coop until 8am, but it only muffles the crows. I have spoken with the neighbors, and tried to make it very clear that they can come to me the minute they are annoyed with the roosters. Most say they love the roosters, one asked me to please not let them get too loud in the early hours of the morning. So far, nobody has come knocking, and I am a little surprised at times.

Having said all of this, now that I am seriously considering culling the little guy, it's a little harder than I thought it was going to be. I have gotten to know his personality, and we have a daily dynamic. I will be a little sad to see him go.

I know my situation is different than yours, but I also know you can get attached to the chooks. Sorry you had to give up your rooster!

I had a similar issue. I needed to get rid of my RIR "Lucy". He was supposed to be a hen but obviously the breeder mis-id'd him. He is the sweetest guy. Never gave me an issue except for the crowing. I was bringing him in at night and he slept in a dog crate. He didn't seem to have a problem with it and was happy to see his girls in the am. Unfortunately we are not allowed to have roos and he was crowing during the day too. We have a problem neighbor and so had to rehome him. A friends farm neighbor took him in. They sell chicks and eggs and have quite few roos already so he has lots of company.

I miss him terribly and understand how you feel. Hope you find a good home for him.

I'm meant to be getting a call from the council to discuss the legalities of residential poultry. I'm not optimistic though :(

Also the breeder has New Hampshire hens as was nice enough to trade my roo for some of his fertile eggs from the hens once he's there for a while. He said he'll even incubate and make sure he feather sexes so I can hve my own New Hampshire female chicks which seems to be a good trade off but he's interstate so I have two weeks left with my boy. I had an episode last night while putting in his cage. And it made no difference having him caged, covered and in the garage. I still heard them yelling next door when his muffled crows came out at 7.00am, which is late for him! He's never done anything wrong bit he does crow quite a bit during the day, which I though didnt matter, only night time but apparently they dislike him in general. The neighbour shot me an angry look this morning when I took him outside. I don't even are about them right now, I see it the same was as their little Lou dog barking all the time - what's the difference?? :( :(

Back
Top Bottom