Nerve damage?

mapurcel

Songster
Apr 2, 2020
Norfolk County MA
Hello all. 10 days ago I saved one of my bantams from a foxes MOUTH as they boldly tried to snatch her while I was in the yard with them.

Needless to say after my primal screaming and willingness to give chase it dropped the chicken and ran.

Gizmo (the hen) was unable to stand. I brought her to the doc and they put one stitch in the tissue the connects her leg to her body, did an X-ray (yes I’m this extra with my girls) and didn’t find a broken bone.

They told me it was mostly superficial cuts and I took it to mean she would be fine in a few days. Well it’s been 10, and although improvement has been made by her standing rather than only sitting, she can’t walk; she hops and mostly stands like a chicken flamingo.

I’m fine with a longer recovery but was concerned When I noticed she has NO reflex in her toes on the injured leg. I brush my fingers across it and it does not curl like the other. The toes in fact seemed a bit stiff to me. I mean I would be too if I got the equivalent of a steak knife stabbed into my leg, so I’m sympathetic but worried.

I noticed her injured legs’ toes do not move when she half hops around. Her only deep injury is to the crevice where the leg meets the body. I even pulled on some feathers to see if she would react and she didn’t.

Here is a very recent video of the extent of her mobility.

Does my chicken have nerve damage? It has been 10 days and there has in fact been improvement from laying in a pile on the floor. If she is going to be okay how long do you think I should expect to have her in the house in isolation in a crate? I love her dearly and don’t want to lose my Giz girl or have her be handicapped.

Attachments

• 44DF90FF-D52D-46BF-9014-353712C31CF5.jpeg
    44DF90FF-D52D-46BF-9014-353712C31CF5.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 60
Given that she refuses to step with that foot but seems to still recognize that it’s there could mean she does feel some sort of discomfort. Nerve damage seems to be very plausible, likely a combination of the two.

My heart goes out for the lil girl. Bless y’all. 😟

Update! My hen Gizmo has made almost a full recovery!!! She can walk and run. I still don’t think she has full feeling of her leg. I think this because her depth perception has been TERRIBLE when jumping up onto things. Thank you all for your support!!! <3

Hi! My hen was attacked by a dog two days ago. The vet said that my hen has nerve damage to her left leg. She cannot stand on it or walk or bend her toes. How did you help Gizmo recover?

Hi! My hen was attacked by a dog two days ago. The vet said that my hen has nerve damage to her left leg. She cannot stand on it or walk or bend her toes. How did you help Gizmo recover?
Gizmo is right as rain! Took about two months of TLC. With steroids and antibiotics and she can walk. The vet said no promises; it was a clean cut with no broken bones.
Initially her foot did not react to even basic reflexes or move on its own at ALL but after about 2 1/2-3 weeks she started limping around.

Eventually she was moving enough so I put her back in with the girls. She would run but not seem to be in full control of or feet her foot.
Today she is fully recovered! I wouldn’t give up hope if you’re inclined and able to give some extra care/time.

Attachments

• E3BFBE99-44A8-4B43-9635-9AB218031F87.jpeg
    E3BFBE99-44A8-4B43-9635-9AB218031F87.jpeg
    567 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Keep us posted! It’s amazing how tough these little guys can be :)

Thank you so much for following up on this everyone!!! This gives me hope. My baby girl Princess started limping March 10th. We had the vet out and she x-rayed her; saw what looked like a bone infection in her lower leg. (I rescued her from a bad situation last fall and she came with horrid scaly leg mites that I've treated; the vet thinks the residual scabs etc contributed to that infection.) Now she seems to have nerve damage: instead of limping and her toes being stiff, as they were before, she's showing "foot drop" (like your girl did in the video) on the bad leg and hopping around on the other. Otherwise she's eating, drinking, loves her daily dirt bath and sun time. She's just the most perfect puff <3.

Can I ask what steroid your girl was on, @mapurcel ? And what the dose was? How long was she on antibiotics? Princess has had two rounds of Clavamox 2x/day for 6 days each round, and daily meloxicam for pain.

Thank you all so much!

princess p.jpeg

Thank you for sharing your story about Gizmo. About a week ago, my Marigold started limping. She can barely stand on that one leg (kind of balances on the toenails of her left foot). She is otherwise entirely healthy. I have her in a wire rabbit hutch with lots of straw nesting pads in the chicken run with her friends. How long did you cage Gizmo? When did you know it was okay to safely put her back with the flock?
Gizmo is right as rain! Took about two months of TLC. With steroids and antibiotics and she can walk. The vet said no promises; it was a clean cut with no broken bones.
Initially her foot did not react to even basic reflexes or move on its own at ALL but after about 2 1/2-3 weeks she started limping around.

Eventually she was moving enough so I put her back in with the girls. She would run but not seem to be in full control of or feet her foot.
Today she is fully recovered! I wouldn’t give up hope if you’re inclined and able to give some extra care/time

Back
Top Bottom