Nervous about duck noise - what's your experience?

jeroger2

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2017
Austin, TX
Hi all! I'm relatively new to backyard birds and are considering adding two ducks to my family. I have done quite a bit of reading and the more I read, the more nervous I become. I hope you fellow duck and chicken owners can help me know what to expect. I have been lurking on BYC for months now, and these darn ducks are driving me to my first post! :)

I currently have three chickens that have just started laying, which has been my first plunge into birds of any sort. I am planning on adding two female welsh harlequins (for their high egg laying + docile temperament). No males of any kind. In fact, the girls are already ordered from Metzer, arriving next week.

The chickens have been so so so much fun! I am totally hooked and will be a chicken owner for life! But as the days get closer to the WH arrival, I am slowly getting cold feet. I think I have all my fears taken care of - water area (check), new larger run built (check), quarantine zone ready (check) - except noise! I'm SUPER worried about neighbors and adding constant noise. And a potential complaint. My biggest fear would be to have to re-home. A total deal breaker for me!

I live in Austin TX, in city limits which allows hens within certain distances from neighbors. We are RIGHT at those allowable limits. We have a good relationship with our neighbors - not close friends but we chat regularly. We have a wonderful 6.5ft high fenced in yard that my girl graze in all day and get locked up at night. I originally read ducks were quite, but I'm now realizing that the comment was in comparison to chickens specifically when they lay. I'm getting mixed reviews on the females ducks day to day. What has your experience been compared to daily chicken noises, which I find to be pretty minimal? Am I right to be nervous? We would love to have the two ducks but would rather cancel those plans than face a massive neighborhood quarrel. I hope I'm just being overly prepared and a cautious newbie. Help! :) Thanks so much!

I own Welsh Harlequins. They'll reach probably a volume similar to a hen doing the egg song, and only when they're hungry or excited. Otherwise they make quiet chatty sounds and that's about it.

In my experience, all of my ducks have been relatively docile/quiet. The only time they make much noise at all is if I am a little late in the morning for feeding time! Welshies are a great choice for being in close proximity to others. Good luck on your poultry adventure!

We raised my ducks inside at first and when transitioning outdoors they would cry for us because they were so attached! But we just took a week to let them outside around the time neighbors were at work and let them cry- we wouldn't come to stop them, and that helped them realize it was okay being without us. They used to quack if they heard our voices so we did the same thing, spent time outside talking out of sight when neighbors were away. Now our two girls are very quiet! And there's a loud rooster down the street from us, it seems much more annoying to me than a duck quack and I'm sure my neighbors agree. I find our ducks quacking to be rather muffled by our privacy fence too. Now, the only time they quack is when I take their food or water away to refill it. They are so demanding! But are quiet again once they can stuff their faces.

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Oh boy, the noise! :barnie Whack, whack, whack is what the mob boss Applesauce used to say... at the top of her lungs. I cannot believe how loud the ducks were compared to my chickens. :confused: I mean they holler at the top of their lungs when they see me. My neighbors are far away, and my family thinks it's hilarious to hear them. Yep, our Harlequin was right up there with the loudest of them.

What I didn't expect was for them to bully my chickens. Alas I decided only way I could keep them is probably separately from each other. Though I suspect a smaller group might be less of a problem than the group of 9 I had. To me they are easily as loud as my chickens and maybe louder at times, but it isn't constant. It's mostly when they get disturbed and actually saved 1 girl from a raccoon attack during the night once. Yes they are the absolute loudest when they see me. So maybe the training indicated by another poster could be helpful. We had many breeds and the Harlequin was one of out faves! :love

I also didn't realize how much MORE they eat and poop than chickens. 9 ducks doubled my feed bill for 60 chickens! 2 would be a lot more affordable.

They can see a little better in the dark than chickens and always go up later than the chickens (for me).

With sound being a concern, I personally would pass. But each situation will be different.

Good luck, either way! :fl

I adore my Welshie girls but they can be loud. The times they are loudest are in the morning when I come to let them out and in the evening when they are about to get fresh water and their mealworm treat. It's almost as loud as the rooster's crow but they will stop once they get what they want. Otherwise they walk along together gossiping to each other about all the chicken drama. Their normal noise level is constant but it's quiet. I had them in a urban neighborhood before moving and most people didn't realize they were there.

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Oh boy, the noise! :barnie Whack, whack, whack is what the mob boss Applesauce used to say... at the top of her lungs. I cannot believe how loud the ducks were compared to my chickens. :confused: I mean they holler at the top of their lungs when they see me. My neighbors are far away, and my family thinks it's hilarious to hear them. Yep, our Harlequin was right up there with the loudest of them.

What I didn't expect was for them to bully my chickens. Alas I decided only way I could keep them is probably separately from each other. Though I suspect a smaller group might be less of a problem than the group of 9 I had. To me they are easily as loud as my chickens and maybe louder at times, but it isn't constant. It's mostly when they get disturbed and actually saved 1 girl from a raccoon attack during the night once. Yes they are the absolute loudest when they see me. So maybe the training indicated by another poster could be helpful. We had many breeds and the Harlequin was one of out faves! :love

I also didn't realize how much MORE they eat and poop than chickens. 9 ducks doubled my feed bill for 60 chickens! 2 would be a lot more affordable.

They can see a little better in the dark than chickens and always go up later than the chickens (for me).

With sound being a concern, I personally would pass. But each situation will be different.

Good luck, either way! :fl
Might also be that you're used to the chooks' noise but not the ducks, so it stands out more :confused:

Might also be that you're used to the chooks' noise but not the ducks, so it stands out more :confused:
:lau Oh the chickens are loud, and it's true they mostly blend into the background and go unnoticed by me. :oops: But the duck sound seems to carry. And it's unmistakable and it's great.

If I lived in the city.. and was worried about mad neighbors... :confused: I don't know, they certainly aren't any worse than children playing or a dog barking occasionally at whatever. :old;)

Back
Top Bottom