Nervous (still) about removing heat lamp

Rick&Chris

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Southeast PA (Bucks County)
It’s me again! Still nervous LOL

I have ten 4 week old chicks brooding in my coop with an attached pen. They have been venturing out into the pen on sunny days - today it is a bit breezy and 40 degrees, but they’re still going in and out.

One of my girls is barely feathered, the rest are looking good. I have them in the coop with the heat lamp, it is approx 70 degrees inside during the day and in the 50-60s at night inside (with the lamp on). I tried the MHP and they have zero interest. I know everyone says ‘turn off the heat lamp’ and ‘they’ll be fine’, but I’m a worrier! It drops into the 30s and 40s at night. Isn’t that too cold for 4 week old girls, especially one that is barely feathered?

Should I start raising the heat lamp to lower the temp or just turn it off? I have the MHP in there still that they sit on top of (but it is under the lamp)

And, can they tolerate 40 degrees in the sun in the pen on a breezy day?

You can start slowly raising the lamp a little over time. Usually i'd be one telling you to take it out but if you've still got one feathering leave it until that one is more caught up at least at night. During the day if the sun is out they'll be fine, leave the MHP on though in case they get chilled they can seek out that source of heat. Once everyone is feathered though both heat sources should be removed or they'll become dependent and will freeze if you can't supply heat.:)

I’m so sorry to hear that!!! What was the temperature under the lamp when that happen? Were they in your house or in an outside coop?
They were in the garage in a large brooder with a 250w lamp. I'm not sure of the temps under the lamp in the early morning hours. She was on the cold side for some reason, as far from the lamp as you could get, head tucked under her wing. I'm guessing she got too cold wandering around and it addled her thinking. She was the biggest and best feathered of the 4 and looked in fine health. I moved the food and water close to the lamp and added a space heater to the garage.

You can start slowly raising the lamp a little over time. Usually i'd be one telling you to take it out but if you've still got one feathering leave it until that one is more caught up at least at night. During the day if the sun is out they'll be fine, leave the MHP on though in case they get chilled they can seek out that source of heat. Once everyone is feathered though both heat sources should be removed or they'll become dependent and will freeze if you can't supply heat.:)

What do you think the minimum temperature should be for the unfeathered one at this point? And are you recommending that the heat lamp be turned off during the day?

They were in the garage in a large brooder with a 250w lamp. I'm not sure of the temps under the lamp in the early morning hours. She was on the cold side for some reason, as far from the lamp as you could get, head tucked under her wing. I'm guessing she got too cold wandering around and it addled her thinking. She was the biggest and best feathered of the 4 and looked in fine health. I moved the food and water close to the lamp and added a space heater to the garage.

That is sad. I’m sorry to hear that. It’s my biggest fear, as the temperatures at night are in the 30s here, we are 10 to 15° below normal. Heat lamp scares me, fire hazard, but having something happen to them from the cold is just as scary

I'd say 70 to 75 for the one catching up. You want that one cozy but not enough to make it weak. And yes i'd turn the lamp off during the day as long as it is sunny but keep the MHP on in case they get chilly. I know they don't show intrest, but if they need it they'll use it.
What do you think the minimum temperature should be for the unfeathered one at this point? And are you recommending that the heat lamp be turned off during the day?

I'd say 70 to 75 for the one catching up. You want that one cozy but not enough to make it weak. And yes i'd turn the lamp off during the day as long as it is sunny but keep the MHP on in case they get chilly. I know they don't show intrest, but if they need it they'll use it.

Ok thanks. Another question, it is supposed to be cloudy and rainy for the next five days, should I just leave the heat lamp on during the day through this period until the sun comes out? No way to maintain 70 to 75 if the lamp is not on

A heat lamp isnt going to hurt them in anyway, you can leave it in there another month and they'll appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom