Nest box and perch pics please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bock, Oct 1, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I will be getting more chickens this spring. I will meed to build some "real" nest boxes and perches ans well as expand the coop, and I was just curious what your's looked like. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    hereeee ya go! i am adding a 2 inch high strip of wood to keep the straw in (USE PINESTRAW) and give the girl smore privacy. have access from outside and a ltch on the outside access door

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2010
  3. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Love the setup in my 8x8x8 shed/coop. Roomy enough for more hens yet close enough everybody is snuggly. A three-some big bird nest is perfect for my 10 hens and located slightly lower than the roost so they are not tempted to roost in the nests at night a make a poopy mess there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where the girls are.....
    [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Here's the inside coop view of the pop-out, rear rollaway nest boxes, and the perch in front of them. This was right after I built the coop - all nice and clean!
    [​IMG]

Here's a view of the roost branches.
    [​IMG]

Here's what the outside of the coop looked like before it was painted, with the view of the pop-out nest boxes.
    [​IMG]

I've since added another branch for them.
    [​IMG]

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thanks everyone, those pics are very helpful! I have an old bookshelf the man that lived here before us left in the shed. I was thinking I could lay that on its side and put a piece of wood horizontally between each rectangle to make 8 nest boxes. I am still unsure about the perches though. What is the best way to maximize the space with those, what about more of a ladder affect? Also, if I was to buy wood for the perches, should the pieces be rounded or like a normal rectangular shape (if that makes any since)? Thanks! [​IMG]

6. Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil Chillin' With My Peeps

Like this?

I got this from a friends Kindergarden Class, they got lockers, and I got their old Cubby Shelf, It was great it has 30..... 16" x 12" cubby holes. I got 5 six hole nest boxes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    We made our nest area from scraps and 5 gallon buckets DH got from work.
    [​IMG]

DH cut down some oak trees and made roost out of them.
    [​IMG]

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    ok I have the strangest nest boxes that my hubby made for some of our girls that are not near old enough to use them but he wanted to be prepared
    [​IMG]

9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:Zazouse that is such a nifty idea! It never ceases to amaze me how people use different things to solve a problem. I LOVE it! [​IMG]

10. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I went to buy 5 gal buckets for that idea but ended up coming home with stack able storage totes that dipped down in the front as if they were meant to be nests. I haven't decided yet if I'll stack them, or bolt them beside each other to the wall. I did weight them down with 1x1 concrete pavers since of course the birds will roost on the sides of them.

Too bad I keep finding my eggs outside in the run. I'm used to Bantams that need a nest, the Cochin needs a nest, but she escapes and hides under a bush.

It was a good nesting idea though, perhaps they'll utilize it at some point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by