Nest box and perch pics please!

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
I will be getting more chickens this spring. I will meed to build some "real" nest boxes and perches ans well as expand the coop, and I was just curious what your's looked like. Thanks!
big_smile.png

hereeee ya go! i am adding a 2 inch high strip of wood to keep the straw in (USE PINESTRAW) and give the girl smore privacy. have access from outside and a ltch on the outside access door

56934_vjhgftyd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the setup in my 8x8x8 shed/coop. Roomy enough for more hens yet close enough everybody is snuggly. A three-some big bird nest is perfect for my 10 hens and located slightly lower than the roost so they are not tempted to roost in the nests at night a make a poopy mess there.

IMGA2792.jpg

20070616_NestsReady-1.jpg

Where the girls are.....
20090808_Henhouse.jpg

Here's the inside coop view of the pop-out, rear rollaway nest boxes, and the perch in front of them. This was right after I built the coop - all nice and clean!
41679_newcoopnestbox.jpg

Here's a view of the roost branches.
41679_insidenewcoop.jpg

Here's what the outside of the coop looked like before it was painted, with the view of the pop-out nest boxes.
41679_rollaway_nestbox.jpg

I've since added another branch for them.
41679_insidecoopjune26-1.jpg

Thanks everyone, those pics are very helpful! I have an old bookshelf the man that lived here before us left in the shed. I was thinking I could lay that on its side and put a piece of wood horizontally between each rectangle to make 8 nest boxes. I am still unsure about the perches though. What is the best way to maximize the space with those, what about more of a ladder affect? Also, if I was to buy wood for the perches, should the pieces be rounded or like a normal rectangular shape (if that makes any since)? Thanks!
big_smile.png

Like this?

I got this from a friends Kindergarden Class, they got lockers, and I got their old Cubby Shelf, It was great it has 30..... 16" x 12" cubby holes. I got 5 six hole nest boxes.

SSA53728.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Zazouse that is such a nifty idea! It never ceases to amaze me how people use different things to solve a problem. I LOVE it!
thumbsup.gif

I went to buy 5 gal buckets for that idea but ended up coming home with stack able storage totes that dipped down in the front as if they were meant to be nests. I haven't decided yet if I'll stack them, or bolt them beside each other to the wall. I did weight them down with 1x1 concrete pavers since of course the birds will roost on the sides of them.

Too bad I keep finding my eggs outside in the run. I'm used to Bantams that need a nest, the Cochin needs a nest, but she escapes and hides under a bush.

It was a good nesting idea though, perhaps they'll utilize it at some point.

Back
Top Bottom