Nest box size?

workindog

Songster
6 Years
Dec 11, 2015
CT
Hi my fellow chickie lovers..

So im going to make my nest boxes hopefully today. The shelving (2 shelves) thats already there is what i plan to make into their nest boxes. Its..
57" long
19" deep
17.5" tall

So im thinking i can make 8 nest boxes, (4 per shelf)
14" wide
18" deep
17" tall

My question is, will a 14" wide nest box work? Or is that too narrow? Im sure the other 2 measurements are fine... (thinks about it...) right??? Lol

If it helps we have 2 small bantams, but the others are larger.. isa's, light brahmas, a barred rock, EE's, a silky, buff orpingtons and wyandottes.. i think i remembered everyone? Lol

Anyway.. i will do some research right now on the average size but i really prefer finding out from the tried and true views :)

Ty

So from looking at basic pre made wooden ones it looks like they will have enough room to fit comfortably...

So unless someone thinks otherwise...Im gonna start um....... speak now or forever shall i waste my wood lmao

Hi my fellow chickie lovers..

So im going to make my nest boxes hopefully today. The shelving (2 shelves) thats already there is what i plan to make into their nest boxes. Its..
57" long
19" deep
17.5" tall

So im thinking i can make 8 nest boxes, (4 per shelf)
14" wide
18" deep
17" tall

My question is, will a 14" wide nest box work? Or is that too narrow? Im sure the other 2 measurements are fine... (thinks about it...) right??? Lol

If it helps we have 2 small bantams, but the others are larger.. isa's, light brahmas, a barred rock, EE's, a silky, buff orpingtons and wyandottes.. i think i remembered everyone? Lol

Anyway.. i will do some research right now on the average size but i really prefer finding out from the tried and true views :)

Ty
Those will be very nice sized nest boxes.
However, Brahmas are big birds. You might want to consider making one shelf with 2 nests at 12" wide and two at 16" wide.

Those will be very nice sized nest boxes.
However, Brahmas are big birds. You might want to consider making one shelf with 2 nests at 12" wide and two at 16" wide.
Sounds good and easily do-able with what i have cut! I was planning on making individual nest boxes so if one got dirty i could take it out easily to clean it. but then realized how much wood I'd have to buy. So yeah scrap that idea as i am literally working with scraps lol I'll just space a couple apart.. ta-da!!!! :)
Ty very much for the advice and btw dobies are one of my FAVORITE breeds!!!! We own 2 min pins (not related but still has that stunning dobie look!)

Ahhh... forgot to ask.. whats better for inside the nest boxes? Hay or wood chips? Thats all i have on hand so those are my options lol

Do either have pros/cons? Winter i plan on using straw as its warmer but its summer so which outta the 2 would be considered cooler? Hmmm

Ty very much for the advice and btw dobies are one of my FAVORITE breeds!!!! We own 2 min pins (not related but still has that stunning dobie look!)
Yeppers! I know that! I have one too.
My current Dobie is a 90# blue male named Ben. Here he is with his little sister, Fuji, and little brother, Skittles, the rat terrier mix. He was my dad's dog.
IMG_20190202_122435674.jpg

Oh, I used chopped straw in my nest boxes. About a 4" thick layer.

Ahhh... forgot to ask.. whats better for inside the nest boxes? Hay or wood chips? Thats all i have on hand so those are my options lol

Do either have pros/cons? Winter i plan on using straw as its warmer but its summer so which outta the 2 would be considered cooler? Hmmm
If that's all you have, use the pine shavings. Hay can get moldy.

If you didn't already start... we have 3 nest boxes. They are each about 14" wide. I have 6 hens. Lost one recently. Anyway, they almost always use just one nest. And it varies from day to day which one they use. Depending on how many chicks you have, you might not need that many nests. You might also try a group nest. That way they can share their favorite. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom