Nest boxs. What is the advantage to having outdoor access

Mr.Grantly

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
I see a lot of people taking the time to add nest boxs that you can get at from outside the hen house. What is the advantage ? They seem like a lot of work

Grant

For me, it also makes it easier for my City Friends to gather the eggs and "take care of the chickens" when I'm gone if they don't have to go inside the coop every day. They usually seem to be a little more sensitive than me to chicken dust and inside-the-coop sights and smells.

Last edited:
Mine is an outside nest box and I love the fact that it's a quick "grab -n-go". There's no disturbing them when they're inside eating or scratching around. I couldn't imagine having to go inside the coop to collect eggs. I absolutely love it. I have 5 boxes in my coop and I block off one to the girls to use as storage for chicken scratch and other misc. smaller items. When I open the nest box to collect the eggs, it makes it super easy to throw them a treat!! (While I collect mine!)
yippiechickie.gif
It's not really alot of work to make one...

You could also make it inside of the coop with just an exterior door to open on the backside of the nest boxes...it doesn't have to be protruding out to be accessed from outside.
smile.png

Chickens don't always lay where you want them to lay.
wink.png

I go into my coop to check for eggs, look around, see all my birds, etc. My $17 boots from TSC are a godsend.
yippiechickie.gif

Mine is outside the coop and outside the run and my mom can easily collect the eggs without accidentally letting the chickens out. She loves those birds but they would sneak by her if she opened the door.

Back
Top Bottom