Nesting Box Bedding Material Experiment!

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
Now that we have a nice new coop with proper nesting boxes, I had to try this out. I have a different mix of material in each box, and over the course of the week I'll be seeing which is the favorite. Here's a pic of the setup:
nesting boxessss.jpg

These are all poorly edited together because I was not able to get a pic of all of them at once. This is, however, the order that they are in in real life. From left to right:
Shavings with no fake egg
Shavings with fake egg
Shavings with a bit of straw and fake egg
Equal shavings/straw mix with fake egg
Straw with fake egg
I have since updated the nests so that they all have fake eggs aside from the one on the far left. I arranged the bedding so that it looked like someone had nested there. I don't have updated pictures but it's basically the same.
These boxes are all the same size and get all the same amount of light, so those shouldn't affect the experiment. Pic from the inside:
IMG-1670.jpg

(I added more shavings to the coop floor after this was taken) it looks like the ones toward the camera are more brightly lit, but that is because they are closer to the door. The chickens:
IMG-1672.jpg

Round Chicken. The least consistent layer-we don't get eggs from her every day. Sometimes we get some funky eggs from her as well.
IMG-1673.jpg

Ruth. Best egg layer-she's never skipped a day, and never laid funky eggs. Usually lays later in the morning rather than later.
IMG-1675.jpg

Poppy. When I took these I had just refilled their food, and they were feasting. Poppy is the third best layer-she sometimes skips days but lays most of them. I don't think we have funky eggs from her, but I'm not sure. Lays earlier in the morning.
IMG-1674.jpg

Tillie. Also feasting. Second best layer- was the first to start laying, and lays every day. We've gotten some weird eggs from her, however. Lays earliest in the morning.
I"ll update every day with where the eggs were!

Last edited:
Now that we have a nice new coop with proper nesting boxes, I had to try this out. I have a different mix of material in each box, and over the course of the week I'll be seeing which is the favorite. Here's a pic of the setup:
View attachment 2358954
These are all poorly edited together because I was not able to get a pic of all of them at once. This is, however, the order that they are in in real life. From left to right:
Shavings with no fake egg
Shavings with fake egg
Shavings with a bit of straw
Equal shavings/straw mix
Straw
These boxes are all the same size and get all the same amount of light, so those shouldn't affect the experiment. Pic from the inside:
View attachment 2358957
(I added more shavings to the coop floor after this was taken) it looks like the ones toward the camera are more brightly lit, but that is because they are closer to the door. The chickens:
View attachment 2358958
Round Chicken. The least consistent layer-we don't get eggs from her every day. Sometimes we get some funky eggs from her as well.
View attachment 2358961
Ruth. Best egg layer-she's never skipped a day, and never laid funky eggs. Usually lays later in the morning rather than later.
View attachment 2358962
Poppy. When I took these I had just refilled their food, and they were feasting. Poppy is the third best layer-she sometimes skips days but lays most of them. I don't think we have funky eggs from her, but I'm not sure. Lays earlier in the morning.
View attachment 2358965
Tillie. Also feasting. Second best layer- was the first to start laying, and lays every day. We've gotten some weird eggs from her, however. Lays earliest in the morning.
I"ll update every day with where the eggs were!
I love the coop size! (I had a chicken named Poppy, she was my first ever and I miss her dearly) maybe put fake eggs in all the boxes so that they don’t go for just the ones with the eggs (that way they will choose over bedding not who just laid there)

I love the coop size! (I had a chicken named Poppy, she was my first ever and I miss her dearly) maybe put fake eggs in all the boxes so that they don’t go for just the ones with the eggs (that way they will choose over bedding not who just laid there)
We're calling the coop the chicken palace! It is 6x4 inside, not including the nesting boxes. I don't think I have enough fake eggs-I'll see if I can find some golf balls or some other fake ones.

I am going to put a fake egg in all but one of the boxes. The one without will be the second box with only shavings, to see if they prefer the box without a fake egg over the box with a fake egg.

We're calling the coop the chicken palace! It is 6x4 inside, not including the nesting boxes. I don't think I have enough fake eggs-I'll see if I can find some golf balls or some other fake ones.
I love the size for your flock :love
honestly you could just use some real eggs if you have to

I love the size for your flock :love
honestly you could just use some real eggs if you have to
Thank you! I"m hoping to expand (chicken math, as always) in the spring, or maybe next spring. I wouldn't want real eggs to sit outside, especially in unpredictable temperatures.

Thank you! I"m hoping to expand (chicken math, as always) in the spring, or maybe next spring. I wouldn't want real eggs to sit outside, especially in unpredictable temperatures.
I just figured you would leave them for a day or two and then collect them once they laid again

now that I think about it. It defeats the whole purpose :lol:

The boxes have been updated so that two have white plastic easter eggs that you use for easter egg hunts, one has white plastic decorative easter egg, and one has an easter egg hunt egg that is similar too, if more saturated than, the blue color an EE could lay.

The boxes have been updated so that two have white plastic easter eggs that you use for easter egg hunts, one has white plastic decorative easter egg, and one has an easter egg hunt egg that is similar too, if more saturated than, the blue color an EE could lay.
I’m sure they won’t mind what color they are since they see colors differently :lol:
I’m still jealous your parents let you guys get a bigger coop:barnie

Back
Top Bottom