Nesting Box Bedding Material Experiment!

***Boxes are numbered with box #1 being the one with pine shavings and no fake egg, and box #5 being the one with only hay. They go in numerical order left to right.***
Day 1:
Only two eggs, as with most of the days. = Ruth laid in box #2, with shavings and a fake egg. This was the flock favorite before I did the experiment. I know it was Ruth because we only got one brown egg that day and I saw Ruth in the box. Tillie laid in box #3, with mostly shavings and a bit of hay. Through the whole thing, she's definitely the most fond of the hay.

Day 2:
On day two, Ruth (saw her again) laid in box #1, with shavings and no fake egg. As she definitely usually preferst box 2, I'm surprised that she went in there. Tillie laid in box 2. I did notice that they had either pulled or kicked some hay in there, either by accident or on purpose-not sure which. I took the hay out but that may have changed her decision.

Day 3:
Ruth laid in box two (her favorite, not surprising) and Tillie laid in five, with the only hay!! Very exciting development.

Day 4:
This was one of the only days where we got more than two eggs! Ruth and Poppy both laid in box two, and Tillie went in three again.

Day 5:
This was our one egg day. Tillie was the only layer and laid in #5 with only hay.

Day 6:
Another three egg day! Ruth and Poppy went for box #2 again, and Tillie went for #5. I'm wondering if Ruth and Poppy lay in the same one because their eggs are the same color?

Day 7:
(yesterday)
Tillie, and I'm assuming Ruth, both laid in box #3.

Tillie is definitely more partial to the hay than Ruth and Poppy are. I cleaned the coop out today (fully) and put all the bedding from the boxes into the coop, so the experiment is officially over (for now). I did leave one hay box for Tillie, and I'll update you on if she continues to choose it. This was probably bad experiment timing because they're slowing down for the winter- I think I was just excited by the actual nesting boxes :p I'll definitely try again in the spring, and maybe fall or next spring if we get some spring chicks.

Exactly! My coop is way way way to small! Its like a 4 chicken coop and I have 8 chickens in it! I NEED a bigger coop!
With the hassle building the run has been, my mom is ready to burn the whole thing to the ground :lol: The chickens LOVE it though. And I engineered it specifically so that I can add more! (wonderful planning skills, I know lol) It's my birthday+big christmas present. (We usually get a big christmas present-new bike, expensive art pens, etc. this year it's a chicken coop)

This has been an interesting experiment. I have the same bedding in all my nests (mechanically shredded paper), and a single golf ball in each nest. But my hens do have favored nests: it's the ones farthest from the door, one on the wall, and one they have made for themselves on the floor diectly under it. I figured they choose those spots because they feel most secure there, in a corner with walls on two sides. Shrug. Who knows. I have asked them but nobody's talking.

Back
Top Bottom