ArkyBird

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Arkansas
[im
2007_0909TrinaTim0009.jpg
g][/img]

I built this nexting box from some scrap I had laying around. The nests are 12"x12" by 14 tall. I put on a front roosting bar but did not know how far out it should be, does it look ok, or should it be changed? The outside edge is 8" away from the front of the nest. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Your nesting boxes are awesome! I'm really impressed. I bought a set of 3 just like yours from shopthecoop.com and they didn't have a roosting pole out front. Cost me over $80! I like yours much better!

If mounting them on the wall yes its recommended to slant roof so no one perches on top, if mounting through the wall you dont need to worry about top.

Ours look a lot like that, but there are five nests and they take up one whole wall of the coop. The top is flat with a small wood lip to keep straw on top. The highest (most favored) roost is over the top so the top of the nestboxes serves as an easily cleanable "poop deck".

Thanks all, I can use all the information I can get, I will probably put a angled top on the nest after it is mounted in my hen house, which is on the drawing board now. I must be wierd, building the nest box first, then the hen house around it....well, my friends think raising chickens is wierd anyway.
cool.png
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom