Nesting boxes

Do the nesting boxes need to be in a privacy setting? I was told that they want privacy when laying.
A lot depends on what you want them to do in the nest box.
If you just want them to lay eggs then most types of nest box will do.
If you want them to sit and hatch and you want healthy chicks and mum and a decent hatch rate then it's not quite so simple.
Research has shown that for proper chick development some daylight is required. Chickens have been laying eggs and hatching them in the open for centuries.
There is also the matter of the hen being able to control the eggs when sitting and hatching. Many nest boxes built for egg collection make unsuitable sitting and hatching boxes.
This is an article on my experiments and experience with nest boxes. It's a bit extreme for the average backyard chicken keeper but if you are planning on letting a hen sit and hatch at some point it may prove useful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...e-make-a-sitting-hens-job-so-difficult.74389/

Do the nesting boxes need to be in a privacy setting? I was told that they want privacy when laying.
They don't need 'privacy'... that's a human thing.....they do need to feel 'safe' tho.
How much traffic they might tolerate depends on how much traffic they are used to.
I'm in and out of the coop frequently, especially when pullets begin to lay,
they get used to my presence so it doesn't bother them.

Last edited:
Chickens will choose the spot to lay their eggs. If they don't like your "nesting boxes" they won't use them. I agree with @aart that they don't need privacy, they just was to feel comfortable and safe. I leave my coop door open, so my girls get no privacy but they seem to love the boxes!

nesting boxes small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom