Nevadans?

Quote: And the swing music!
big_smile.png
OK what's your favorite homemade ice cream flavor?!! I'll get on that right now!

Seriously! No I can't make pralines and cream cause I don't know how they make their pralines but give me a couple of choices. I bet I have the stuff here to make one of them.
cool.png

Congratulations! I think that's the way to hatch with a broody. Every broody I've had abandoned lots of late hatching eggs to take care of the first hatchlings. This batch I had 4 healthy, full term chicks die in eggs that got cracked and they weren't quite ready to come out and several of the abandon eggs were heavy so I know they had chicks in them. My last broody opened six eggs after her initial 5 hatched and the chicks were wet but dead so I took the rest and threw them out because she wasn't sitting on them and it was breaking my heart to see all these perfect chicks dead. If I would have had an incubator I would have taken the remaining eggs and finished them in the incubator as soon as I saw the mom committing to the chicks.

Do you do this with all your broodies?
I actually get a thrill out of the Bobcat encounters
hide.gif
I love seeing them. We have not lost a chicken to one in over 3 years. I even know a couple by their looks. One is a smaller, young female that has nice spotting. This older guy I chased off last night has really long legs, 3/4s of a tail and has no spotting. They do get a little too bold at times though. One summer we were on our deck BBQing and I look down into the pasture and here comes this half grown Bobcat, nose in the air, heading right for the house! Now that is just too cozy! I wasn't about to share my dinner with her! We had to shoe that one off
roll.png

The egg that the broody abandoned, that went in the incubator, hatched this morning!
ya.gif
I am waiting for it to fluff up and get more stable on its feet before I give it to the broody. Its brothers and sisters have a head start and I want to be sure it is strong enough to keep up. A blue laced red to black laced red mating is supposed to produce 50% black laced red and 50% blue laced red, but all the chicks from my birds are blue! Which is great! Of the two I hatched from shipped eggs (the parent birds were all blue laced reds) I got one black laced red (sure that is a pullet) and a blue laced red (sure that is a rooster.) They look to be really nice quality chicks, especially the black laced red pullet who is my favorite of all the chicks
smile.png

This is the first Broody experience for me and the hen
big_smile.png
The reason she left the eggs was one did not have a viable chick in it and the other one was 3 days behind the others because another hen snuck an egg under her that I didn't catch. I moved my broody into a house by herself because the other hens, even though there was another nesting box, wouldn't stay out of her nest and broke a couple of the eggs in the first week
rant.gif
I have an Ameraucana broody right now on no eggs and the other chickens leave her alone. Go figure!

Sorry you lost so many chicks! That must have been really hard to take!
hugs.gif

Congratulations! I think that's the way to hatch with a broody. Every broody I've had abandoned lots of late hatching eggs to take care of the first hatchlings. This batch I had 4 healthy, full term chicks die in eggs that got cracked and they weren't quite ready to come out and several of the abandon eggs were heavy so I know they had chicks in them. My last broody opened six eggs after her initial 5 hatched and the chicks were wet but dead so I took the rest and threw them out because she wasn't sitting on them and it was breaking my heart to see all these perfect chicks dead. If I would have had an incubator I would have taken the remaining eggs and finished them in the incubator as soon as I saw the mom committing to the chicks.

Do you do this with all your broodies?

And the swing music!   :D      OK what's your favorite homemade ice cream flavor?!!  I'll get on that right now!

Seriously!  No I can't make pralines and cream cause I don't know how they make their pralines but give me a couple of choices.  I bet I have the stuff here to make one of them.     :cool:
[/quote
I don't pick favorites. I just don't do odd flavors.

Back
Top Bottom